Red-hot Molynes tipped to oust JN Open League champions

first_imgTHE qualifiers for this Thursday’s semi-finals in the JN Open League netball competition will be known today, following today’s quarter-finals at the Leila Robinson Courts, starting at 6:45 p.m.Defending champions Mico ‘B’, who topped Group Two with 24 points from eight wins, will be aiming to move forward in a bid to retain their title as they go up against the very dangerous Molynes ‘A’, which topped Group Seven with maximum 21 points from their seven wins.This game is expected to be very close, but Molynes ‘A’, the team with the second-highest number of goals in the competition, is given the edge to topple the defending champions.It could go either way in the UWI Pelicans vs Jamalco encounter, as both teams were red hot in the preliminary stage of the competition and topped their groups quite easily. The Conrad Parkes-coached UWI Pelicans topped Group One with maximum 21 points from seven games, and with the likes of former national senior players Nadine Bryan and Thristina Harwood, along with former national Under-21 player Shameera Sterling in their line-up, they could go all the way.After being beaten in last year’s final by Mico ‘B’, the Winston Nevers-coached Jamalco are determined to go all the way this time around, and after topping Group Seven with maximum 21 points from seven games, they will be hoping that ace shooter Marsha Murphy-Dawkins continues her impressive form and steers them to the semi-final.MICO ‘A’Last year’s beaten semi-finalists, Mico ‘A’, who were upstaged by sister team Mico ‘B’, have been the best attacking and defensive team so far this season, and after dominating Group Six with maximum 24 points from eight games, they will be hoping to get the better of Group Three winners Cablepro in the other quarter-final.Despite their impressive record, the Mico team will enter today’s encounter without ace goalshooter Jhaniele Fowler-Reid, who played her final game on Saturday against UTech Knights.Fowler-Reid left the island on Sunday for the ANZ Championship in New Zealand, but the Annette Daley-coached team still has national senior defender Vangelee Williams in their line-up.The consolation quarter-finals will also take place today, starting at 5:54 p.m. The games are: Speg A vs Waulgrovians B, Tivoli Gardens vs Skibo, Ravens A vs UTech Knights, and Molynes United B vs Molynes United C.last_img read more

UL Commences Xmas, New Year Break

first_imgThe Administration of the University of Liberia (UL) has as of yesterday, December 22, announced with immediate  effect the commencement of the 2014 Christmas and New Year break. Accordingly, the break will end on Sunday, January 4, 2015 when normal work activities are expected to officially begin on Monday, January 5, 2015. Henceforth, a UL statement said that all the four campuses of the institution will be closed to the public during the break.  Therefore, the statement said, members of the faculty and staff as well as the entire student populace are advised to observe this period. Meanwhile, as we continue to battle the Ebola outbreak in the country, the Administration wishes further to inform the student body and the general public that they should observe all of the health practices, including regular washing of hands, avoiding crowded places and shaking hands, among other practices. The UL statement yesterday was signed by the director of UL Relations, Augustine K. Boakai.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Sen Zargo: ‘Capitol Building Vulnerable’

first_imgLofa County Senator Stephen Zargo has risen what he described as “serious concern” about the security of the Capitol Building. “The way our external barrier was infiltrated and our internal circle infiltrated, shows that this Capitol Building is vulnerable.” Both the grounds of the Capitol Building and the Rotunda of the building were forcefully overrun last week Tuesday by hundreds of protesting students from the University of Liberia, who demanded the lawmakers to intervene and stop the University administration’s decision to increase tuition. As a result of the student stampede, one of the twin glass doors to the entrance of the Rotunda was destroyed.Senator Zargo, who chairs the Senate Committee on Defense, Intelligence and Veterans Affairs, blamed the incident on the lack of coordination among government institutions. “A few days after we were subjected to what we went through: Huge number of students ran through our barrier and entered the Rotunda of the Capitol and caused some damage to what is considered as the House of Elders; this is unfortunate and a concern,” Zargo told the Daily Observer in an interview. He called for the need to erect some security barriers and have some target-hiding, which he said are defenses that can be put in place to prevent intruders from easily reaching their targets, in the case of the Capitol Building, the Legislators. Against this background, Senator Zargo disclosed that the leadership of the Senate has constituted two committees: Rules, Order and Administration, and Defense, Security and Intelligence, “to do recommendation as to how we can be able to put in defenses. Again, that will not mean the barring of our people from entering the Capitol Building, because we are the people’s representatives.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Women comprise 35 per cent of total local workforce

first_imgWorld Bank report says– Guyana lacks sexual harassment educationA World Bank report examining whether governments in Latin America and the Caribbean have succeeded in establishing an enabling environment for women was recently published. Titled ‘Women, business and the law 2018’, the report looks at the legal challenges that are faced by women in their day-to-day lives.In the case of Guyana, this report acknowledged that Guyana has improved access to credit information by expanding the Credit Bureau’s coverage. This, it noted, has resulted in the bureau now covering more than five per cent of the population. However, the report makes mention of several shortfalls in GuyanaThe World Bank Reportwhen it comes to women and fostering gender equality. In a section of the report, comparisons were made between Guyana and Haiti. According to the report, Guyana, as an upper middle income country, has a female population of 384,262 and a female labour work force of 35 per cent. By comparison, Haiti, a low income country, has a female population of 5.4 million and a female labour work force of 48 per cent. When it comes to accessing services such as processing passport applications, the report documents that women have a harder chance of getting through this process than men. There are also issues with women accessing paid parental leave. The report notes that while mothers are guaranteed equivalent positions on return from maternity leave in Haiti, this is not the case in Guyana. It also noted that the law does not mandate legal aid in civil and family matters, nor is there legislation on sexual harassment in education. On accessing institutions, Guyana scored 91 out of 189 economies. When it comes to equality in using property, Guyana was marked at 100. Guyana scored significantly higher in terms of women on the job, at 78.The signs were even better when Guyana was compared with others in incentivising women to work (60) and going to court (50). However, Guyana fell in building credit (100), as it was noted that there is gender-based discrimination in providing credit. When it comes to protecting women from violence, Guyana was ranked 80.“No economy can grow to its full potential unless both women and men participate fully. As half the world’s population, women have an equal role in driving economic growth. The analysis draws on newly-collected data across seven indicators: accessing institutions, using property, getting a job, providing incentives to work, going to court, building credit, and protecting women from violence,” the report stated.last_img read more

RCMP Hunters Alert

first_imgThe Chetwynd RCMP has issued another communication’s reminder, for local area hunters.It follows an incident last week in the South Peace involving a hunter, who broke his leg and needed to be airlifted to safety.Police say he was located by Mackenzie Search and Rescue but, only after he and a companion spent a cool, rainy night outdoors.- Advertisement -The pair had set up the camp after hiking for nearly two hours through the bush, from where they left an ATV.Police say hunters should always leave behind someone, with the knowledge and a mapped location, of their destination.They’re also advised to take with them communication and GPS devices. Advertisementlast_img

Technologies may help set spines straight

first_imgWASHINGTON – New technologies to straighten crooked spines while letting them grow may one day help children bypass those hated back braces. Scoliosis specialists are trying staples to force a curving spine to grow right – and for worse cases, implanting “growable” rods in place of standard spine surgery called fusion that stunts youngsters’ growth. The technologies aren’t yet widely available. Initial recipients of growing rods are just getting old enough to be sure that lengthening the implants twice a year really worked. And researchers hope later this year to begin the first major study comparing staples with braces. But they’re at the forefront of what could be a long-needed revolution in scoliosis care. The key question is how to tell which child needs radical treatment before his or her back becomes badly misshapen. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Viewed from behind, a normal spine looks like a straight line. With scoliosis, the spine curves into an “S” or “C” shape. It affects between 2 percent and 3 percent of the population, roughly 6 million people in the U.S., according to the National Scoliosis Foundation. The curve usually arises in early adolescence, between ages 10 and 15. Fortunately, most cases are mild and don’t need treatment. But a badly curved spine can limit activity, cause pain, and affect appearance and self-esteem. Worse, in severe cases, scoliosis shrinks the chest cavity – there’s not enough room for the lungs and heart to develop normally.last_img read more

Hawksbee and Jacobs daily – Thursday, October 30

first_imgListen to the best bits from Thursday’s Hawksbee and Jacobs show.last_img

MEDICAL CONDITION CAUSED NOIRIN CAR CRASH, LAWYER FOR DRIVER TELLS COURT

first_imgAn elderly Donegal man whose car crossed on to the wrong side of the road resulting in the death of his wife and a child suffering severe spinal injuries, has claimed he is not liable for the accident because a medical ailment caused him to lose control of his car, a court has heard.In the first case of its kind, William Barr (aged 81) claims, if the High Court finds he has a liability in proceedings brought against him on behalf of the injured child, he is entitled to be indemnified by his local GP, Dr Anthony Delap.The action against Mr Barr has been brought on behalf of Noirin McGarvey, now aged seven, suing through her father Ronan, Lower Dore, Bunbeg, Gaoth Dobhair. The child suffered severe injuries to her spine and is wheelchair-bound as a result of the accident at Dunlewy, Co Donegal on May 27, 2008. Mr Barr’s wife, Maggie, died in the accident.It is claimed Mr Barr, Middletown, Gaoth Dobhair, was negligent and in breach of duty by allowing the car he was driving to cross onto the wrong side of the road resulting in a collision with the McGarveys’ car.It is further alleged Mr Barr drove in a manner that caused the accident and drove too fast.Mr Barr denies negligence or liability and claims the collision was an inevitable accident in that he believes he experienced a medical ailment immediately prior to the collision causing him to lose control of his vehicle.Mr Barr was on medication at the time of the accident to deal with complaints of high blood pressure, light headedness and episodes of lost consciousness.Dr Anthony Delap, a GP of Bunbeg, Co Donegal, has been joined as a third party to the proceedings.Edward Walsh SC, for Mr Barr, told the court yesterday, if there was any finding of liability against his client, he was contending Mr Barr is entitled to an indemnity or a contribution from Dr Delap.Eugene Gleeson SC, for Dr Delap, argued Mr Barr was not entitled to any indemnity or contribution from his client.Opening the case, Richard T Keane SC, for Noirin McGarvey, argued Mr Barr was not entitled to maintain the defence outlined.That defence was submitted in April 2010, two years after insurers AXA, on behalf of Mr Barr, formally confirmed it was admitting liability. The defence now being advanced had added considerably to Noirin’s distress and anxiety, counsel said.The court heard Noirin is a bright child and academically excellent but is conscious of her injuries. She sustained serious injuries to her spine as a result of the accident and, while she has movement in her upper limbs, she is paraplegic and requires a wheelchair.Following the accident, Noirin, her mother and brother were trapped in their car which caught fire, the court heard. Three people in the vicinity of the accident managed to get the family out of the car, which exploded shortly afterwards.The case before Mr Justice Iarfhlaith Ó Neill is expected to run for two weeks.MEDICAL CONDITION CAUSED NOIRIN CAR CRASH, LAWYER FOR DRIVER TELLS COURT was last modified: May 18th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

DONEGAL COUNCILLOR REFUSES TO TAKE ONE CENT IN EXPENSES OR ALLOWANCES

first_imgA Donegal county councillor has lived up to his promise and refused to take one cent in expenses.County councillor Dessie Shiels.Details of payments released by the County Council for 2014 show that Independent Cllr Dessie Shiels has not accepted either the representational or the monthly allowance, which he is entitled to receive from the Local Authority.And the Letterkenny based Cllr didn’t submit any expenses claims for subsistence/travel, foreign travel, broadband or mobile phone usage since being elected to the Council for the first time in June 2014. A total of €777,000 was paid to the 37 sitting Cllrs. The Tirconail Tribune reveals today that the highest payment was €42,730 to the Independent Cllr John Campbell. However, €17,500 of that figure was for the position of Cathaoirleach which Cllr Campbell held for the last six months of 2014.Another Independent Cllr Ian McGarvey was the second on the list receiving €38,810 but again €14,800 of that figure was for January to June of last year when he was Cathaoirleach of the Council.15 members of the current Local Authority were only elected in June 2014 so their payments figures only related to the final seven months of the year. Apart from the Chairspersons and the Vice-Chairs the largest payment was made to Fine Gael Cllr Terence Slowey who got €26,434 which included the €16,565 representational fee, €9126 (monthly payment) an allowance of €3091 for 2013/14, €383 (broadband) and €359 (mobile phone). Second and third on the list were Fianna Fail Cllrs Sean McEniff and Seamus O’Domhnaill. Cllr McEniff’s payment was €26,133 made up of €16,656 (representational payment), €8379 (monthly allowance), €828 (travel & subsistence) and €359 (broadband). Cllr O’Domhnaill received €25,880 for 2014 made up of €16,656 (representational payment), €8921 (monthly allowance) and €394 (travel & subsistence).The lowest payment for the full 12 months of last year went to Fianna Fail Cllr Gerry Crawford €21821 made up of €16,565 (representational payment) and €5256 (monthly allowance). Next lowest were two Sinn Fein Cllrs Gary Doherty €21893 made up of €16,565 (representational payment) and €5328 (monthly allowance) and Mick Quinn at €22,288 consisting of €16,565 (representational payment) and €5723 (monthly allowance). The bottom five was completed by two Fianna Fail Cllrs Paul Canning (€22,526) €16,565 (representational payment) and €5790 (monthly allowance) €170 for (travel/subsistence). Cllr Brogan’s payment of €22,530 for last year was made up of €16,565 (representational payment) and €5965 (monthly allowance).The figures for the representational allowances (salaries) do not include deductions for PRSI and tax liabilities.DONEGAL COUNCILLOR REFUSES TO TAKE ONE CENT IN EXPENSES OR ALLOWANCES was last modified: August 27th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:allowancesDessie Shielsdonegalexpenseslast_img read more