10 months agoNapoli defender Koulibaly: I’m proud of the colour of my skin

first_imgAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Napoli defender Koulibaly: I’m proud of the colour of my skinby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNapoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly says he won’t be cowed after racist barracking during defeat at Inter Milan.Koulibaly was subjected to racist abuse throughout the 1-0 defeat to Inter and this inevitably contributed to his lack of control in the final minutes as he was sent off.“I’m disappointed by the defeat, but above all at leaving my brothers!” Koulibaly wrote on Twitter.“But I am proud of the colour of my skin. Proud to be French, Senegalese, Neapolitan: A Man.”Mi dispiace la sconfitta e sopratutto avere lasciato i miei fratelli!Però sono orgoglioso del colore della mia pelle. Di essere francese, senegalese, napoletano: uomo. #InterNapoli 1-0#KK26#famiglia#ForzaNapoliSempre#DifendoLaCittàpic.twitter.com/f9q0KYggcw— Koulibaly Kalidou (@kkoulibaly26) December 26, 2018 last_img read more

10 months agoArsenal jump into mix for Chelsea target Nicolo Barella

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Arsenal jump into mix for Chelsea target Nicolo Barellaby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal are in the mix for Cagliari attacker Nicolo Barella.Barella is a target for Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri, while it’s claimed Manchester United have tabled an offer.Sky Italia says Arsenal are also in contact with Cagliari for the youngster.Cagliari are seeking €50m to sell this month.The 21-year-old has said in the past that his style of football is suited to the Premier League, particularly an approach to tackling that is more rugged than many Serie A referees are happy with. last_img

a month agoEx-Chelsea striker Marko Mitrovic: I was ready to sign for ‘big club’ Bury

first_imgEx-Chelsea striker Marko Mitrovic: I was ready to sign for ‘big club’ Buryby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Chelsea striker Marko Mitrovic has revealed he was set to sign for Bury before they were kicked out of the Football League.Mitrovic, a former Sweden youth international, was signed by Chelsea as a 16 year-old from Malmo FF.The attacking talent spent three years inside the Chelsea academy before being promoted to the Blues first team for the 2011–2012 season. Mitrovic never managed a senior appearance for the club – but his English ties drew him back this summer with the prospect of joining Bury. The striker’s last club was Serbia’s Radnicki Nis and by his own admission, he was convinced Bury would be financially saved and he’d be able to sign for the then League Two club.He revealed to Fotbollskanalen: “I was 100 per cent positive that everything would be okay. We had already agreed on everything and I was just waiting to get to sign. I was ready at the start of the season.”I thought the club would be saved and it also seemed that EFL wanted to save the club. I never thought it was not going to work out.”At Chelsea, Mitrovic won the FA Youth Cup and was part of a generation inside Cobham who included the likes of Michael Mancienne, Jeffrey Bruma, Gökhan Töre and Nathaniel Chalobah. On Bury, outwith their financial problems, Mitrovic insists the club was set up for success. He added: “It was really a big club. They had the old Manchester City facilities and the training facility is located near Manchester United’s and Manchester City’s training facilities in Carrington. It would have been a really good move, but this is how it sometimes is.”- updated September 30 TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

25 days agoLiverpool battling FA to avoid Carabao Cup expulsion

first_imgLiverpool battling FA to avoid Carabao Cup expulsionby Paul Vegas25 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool are battling to stay in the Carabao Cup.The Daily Mail says Liverpool have become embroiled in a row with the FA as they battle to avoid being expelled from the Carabao Cup for fielding an ineligible player in last week’s win over MK Dons.In ordinary circumstances expulsion from the competition is the standard sanction for using a player who isn’t eligible, but Liverpool are understood to be pinning the blame on the FA in the hope of being given a lesser punishment. Liverpool contend they applied for an international transfer certificate for Pedro Chirivella when he returned to Anfield from a loan spell in Spain with Extremadura last summer, but the 22-year-old had not received clearance when he came off the bench for the final 27 minutes of Liverpool’s third-round victory on Wednesday. The club are blaming the FA for the administrative oversight as they first sought clearance for Chirivella in July, which they will use in mitigation to try to prevent being thrown out of the competition.The FA’s position is that it is the responsibility of the clubs to make sure all their players are eligible to play. About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

24 days agoMan City manager Guardiola feels ‘so sorry’ for Foden

first_imgAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Man City manager Guardiola feels ‘so sorry’ for Fodenby Freddie Taylor24 days agoSend to a friendShare the lovePep Guardiola feels sorry Phil Foden doesn’t play enough for Manchester City. City’s abundance of world-class talent has restricted the talented 19-year-old midfielder to just four appearances this season, three of them as a substitute.He came off the bench to score in Tuesday’s win over Dinamo Zagreb, and speaking after the game, Guardiola told BT Sport: “He [Foden] has incredible finishing and made an incredible step forward (tonight). “I’m so sorry for him, he deserves to play more minutes. “I’m sure he will contribute and help us more.” last_img

Fired Mississippi State Coach Rick Ray Posts Classy Statement About Dismissal

first_imgMississippi State coach Rick Ray.IG/rickray01Just ahead of today’s NCAA Tournament action, Mississippi State athletic director Scott Stricklin announced that it will be replacing Rick Ray as head men’s basketball coach. Ray, who was 37-60 in three years in Starkville, just released a very classy statement, thanking Mississippi State for the opportunity and praising the university community.Before taking over in Starkville, Ray had been an assistant at Purdue and Clemson. Expect him to latch on with another power program’s staff soon enough.last_img

Hudson-Odoi Bayern’s sole January transfer target

first_imgChelsea youngster Callum Hudson-Odoi was the “only” player Bayern Munich wanted to sign in January, according to club CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.Bayern made no secret of their desire to sign Hudson-Odoi, with the 18-year-old winger reportedly frustrated by a lack of opportunities for Chelsea in the Premier League.An Under-17 World Cup winner with England in 2017, Hudson-Odoi is very highly rated by Chelsea and they are said to have rebuffed several bids for him from Bayern. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? The final offer Bayern are reported to have lodged was worth around £35 million ($46m), but Chelsea have dug their heels in regarding any deal, adamant he will not be leaving.Maurizio Sarri said he had been assured the club would not approve a sale of Hudson-Odoi, and as such Bayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic has been left disappointed.Speaking at a news conference on Thursday, Rummenigge said: “The only one Hasan would have liked to buy was this player [Hudson-Odoi] from Chelsea.”I have to say that he nearly fell in love with this player and his qualities. All the other things [stories about transfer links with other players] were rumours.”We don’t have any demand on these positions for the second half of the season. This is a topic for the future. We’ll handle it in the next months and will decide.”I won’t deny that they [Chelsea] didn’t like this so much [Bayern’s open pursuit of Hudson-Odoi], but don’t forget that you have to give a signal to the young player [that you want him].”There was no personal contact with the player because this is not permitted. I think that was noticed. The player had to have a signal that Bayern is standing completely behind him.”5 – Callum Hudson-Odoi has been directly involved in five goals in his last five starts for Chelsea in all competitions (2 goals, 3 assists). Talent. #CHESHW pic.twitter.com/2Dd4qlfIzy — OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) January 27, 2019 Rummenigge added that with the United Kingdom’s messy exit from the European Union to come, that political context could have more implication for the nation’s players.”I think the English are just finding out that the young players like Sancho in Dortmund or Reiss Nelson in Hoffenheim certainly have qualities that you can use in your own country,” he explained.”Now you have to wait and see how the Brexit affects English football. There are still transfers to be expected. So I think the English are more likely to try and close the door. ” And the CEO was ambiguous on the future of James Rodriguez, while making clear his admiration for the unsettled Colombian. “Basically, this is a super player with perhaps the best left foot in the entire Bundesliga. He proved that, especially in the last year in the second half of the season under Jupp Heynckes. We all wish James regularly on the pitch, but that’s what the coach has to decide whom to trust,” Rummenigge said. “I have to say honestly, I really like the player. We all know in the club what he has for qualities. However, at the end of the day it is also important that this is the best decision for him and for us. As stated, I come out as a big fan of James.”Earlier on Thursday, the club chief had revealed that with their interest in Hudson-Odoi thwarted, Bayern would not be making any further moves in the January window.”I spoke to Hasan [Salihamidzic] at 15.30, to ask if we will do anything. He answered ‘no’,” he stated.”Even without Hudson-Odoi we now have five wingers, so we can get through to the end of the season.”last_img read more

Germany net eight in easy Estonia win

first_imgMarco Reus and Serge Gnabry starred with two goals apiece as Germany hammered Estonia 8-0 in Mainz on Tuesday to maintain their 100 per cent start to Euro 2020 qualifying.Coach Joachim Low was absent again – having also missed the win over Belarus – due to an injury sustained in a “sporting accident” last month, but Estonia were so poor his unavailability was barely noticed in an emphatic win led by Reus and Gnabry.The Borussia Dortmund star opened the scoring early on and also got Germany’s spectacular fifth, with Gnabry, Leon Goretzka and Ilkay Gundogan netting in between.  Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? After scoring five in the first half for the first time since thrashing Brazil 7-1 at the 2014 World Cup, they appeared to ease off a little in the second 45, though Gnabry got himself a second, before Timo Werner and Leroy Sane rounded things off.Germany remain three points behind Group C leaders Northern Ireland, who have played a game more.Germany began with a swagger and carved Estonia open 10 minutes in, as Thilo Kehrer played a low first-time cross into the box from the right and Reus found the roof of the net.Gnabry converted soon after with an easy close-range finish from Sane’s squared pass, and Goretzka got in on the act with 20 minutes played, meeting Joshua Kimmich’s lofted delivery with a glancing header into the bottom-left corner.Joonas Tamm impeded Goretzka’s off-the-ball run in the box a few moments later to concede a penalty, which Gundogan confidently dispatched.And Reus made it 5-0 close to half-time – his gorgeous 30-yard free-kick finding the top-right corner.After something of a lull, Germany resumed the battering and increased the deficit just past the hour, with Gnabry tapping in from Marcel Halstenburg’s low delivery.Werner – introduced for Reus in the 66th minute – beat the approaching Sergei Lepmets with a clever chip towards the end, and Sane rounded wrapped things up with a curling finish despite appearing to stray offside.’Ave it! #DieMannschaft #GEREST 6-0 pic.twitter.com/Ut90SJQ0TX— Germany (@DFB_Team_EN) June 11, 2019 What does it mean? Professional Germany at their brutal bestA lot of questions have been asked of Germany in the last year, with the World Cup post-mortem seeing many players ditched. With fresh faces and lots of youth, Die Mannschaft are looking like themselves again.Estonia were never likely to pose much of a threat, but it is three wins from three games now in Euro 2020 qualifying and their ruthlessness in Mainz is worthy of praise itself.Rolls-Reus effortlessly leads the lineThe central figure of Germany’s attacking trident, Reus swiftly made his mark with a poacher’s effort for the first. His hold-up and link play were strong, as he knitted attacks together, while the free-kick for his second goal was glorious.A nightmare for TammGermany attacked relentlessly and Tamm – one of Estonia’s three centre-backs – struggled to cope. He did not help himself for the penalty, however, needlessly inviting Goretzka to go to ground.What’s next?Germany face Netherlands when they return to Euro 2020 qualifying in September, with Low expected to be back on the touchline. Estonia will be hoping to end their run of defeats when they host Belarus in three months’ time. read morelast_img read more

4-Star ATH Reveals Loaded Top 10

first_imgA detail of a Nike official NCAA size football as it sits in the end zone while the West Virginia Mountaineers stretchon the field prior to playing against the Clemson Tigers during the Discover Orange Bowl at Sun Life Stadium.(Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)St. Louis (MO) Trinity Catholic four-star athlete Mookie Cooper, a top 100 prospect in the class of 2020, made a major recruiting announcement today.Cooper holds more than two dozen offers, so he has no shortage of options for college. Today, he cut his list down substantially.Cooper revealed a top 10 on Twitter this afternoon.His 10 schools are as follows: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, LSU, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma State and Texas.TOP 10!! ?? #AMDG pic.twitter.com/yeB96OFs9G— Mookie Cooper (@uheardof5) December 24, 2018The 5-foot-9, 178-pound Cooper is the No. 5 athlete and the No. 85 overall recruit in the 2020 class, according to 247Sports’ Composite Rankings.He is also the No. 2 player in the state of Missouri.You can see the national team composite recruiting rankings for the class of 2020 here.last_img read more