42 Injured After Fence Collapses At Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa Concert

first_imgScary news out of Camden, as a fence collapsed during a Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa concert at the BB&T Pavilion last night, injuring 42 people. The rappers were on a second stage that was set up at the back of the pavilion, giving fans with lawn tickets an opportunity to get closer to the performers. Fans rushed to get closer to the stage, and eventually the railing collapsed, and many people fell and hurt themselves.Watch footage of the incident, courtesy of twitter user @cak2014, who captured the fence collapsing at the tail end of this video:So this just happened at the snoop and wiz concert nj pic.twitter.com/YP2uFQJiy8— christina kinne (@cak2014) August 6, 2016 The show was stopped after the incident. We hope everyone is okay, and that any injuries were minor![H/T cnn.com & philly.com][photo Getty Image]last_img read more

Student develops application

first_imgBy BRIDGET FEENEY For senior Monica Murphy, Saturday was noteworthy not only because of another football victory, but for also reaching a major milestone in her life with the release of an app in the iTunes store she helped write and design. The app, called Beautiful You, was launched Saturday and is designed to provide girls and young woman with motivation and inspiration for their everyday lives. In the promotional video her team made, Murphy said she hopes users find the app moving. “Your purpose is bigger than big,” she said. “When you believe in yourself, you take bold steps towards the life you were meant to live. I want to help empower you so you can transform your mind and understand all the potential you have. We hope that you will find this app to inspire you throughout your daily life.” Murphy founded the app with sophomore Meghan Roder and the help of Indiana State University student Cory Rehs, whom she met through a mutual friend. Murphy said the project has taken nearly a year to develop. “My team and I spent about 11 months writing encouraging content, while Cory got to work on developing and designing the app,” Murphy said. “A developer’s fee costs $100.” The content users purchase ranges from quotes to reflections to interactive subject matter. “On this app, you will find encouragement, challenges and reflections, all to inspire you – as well as a unique interactive piece to help support you in your walk of sisterhood and personal growth,” Murphy said. Murphy said she is excited her dream of creating an app has been achieved. She said she is grateful for the opportunity this app affords her and Roder to reach women on a wider level than before. “Meghan and I are two ordinary college students who had an extraordinary dream,” she said. “Our app, Beautiful You, allows us the opportunity to impact females on a broader level. We want to build the kingdom and felt called to team up to use the genuineness of our gifts. So many girls and women are hungry for purpose in their lives and want to be encouraged and inspired.” The app costs 99 cents and is now available for sale on iTunes. Contact Bridget Feeney at bfeene01saintmarys.edulast_img read more

Leahy secures $1 million more for Vermont Drug Task Force

first_imgSenator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) Wednesday announced that the Vermont Drug Task Force — which arrested 16 people Tuesday in a drug sweep in St. Albans — will receive $1 million in new federal grant funding through the Edward Byrne Discretionary Grant program.  Leahy secured the funding in the appropriations bill passed by the Congress signed into law last week by President Obama.The funding will allow the Task Force to increase efforts to combat the abuse, trafficking and violent crime associated with illegal drugs.  The trafficking and use of illegal drugs in Vermont is at an all-time high.  The Drug Task Force is a statewide initiative comprised of state, county, and local law enforcement officers focused on substance abuse prevention and treatment programs and anti-drug crime investigative work.  It is managed primarily by the Vermont Department of Public Safety.  Including these new funds, Leahy, as a senior member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, now has secured $8.25 million for the Task Force since 2000. “Since my days as a prosecutor I have believed that ‘all hands on deck’ is an effective approach to solving some of the most difficult crime problems,” said Leahy.  “As we heard in the Judiciary Committee’s hearings in Vermont, State Police Troop Commanders, County Sheriffs and Chiefs of Police, as well as mayors, town managers and select boards, routinely call upon the Task Force to help with investigations and prosecutions of drug-related crimes in their communities.  This new infusion of funds is a timely boost in countering drug crime in Vermont, and the Task Force’s operation in St. Albans is a timely reminder of how central this partnership approach is to these efforts.”Leahy chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee.  Twice last year he brought the panel to Vermont for hearings in Rutland and St. Albans where local, state, and federal officials joined law enforcement leaders, educators, experts in prevention and treatment and concerned parents to testify about the persistent problem of drug-related violent crime in rural communities.  Vermont’s Commissioner of Public Safety, Tom Tremblay, and Rutland Chief of Police Anthony Bossi testified at the March 2007 hearing in Rutland.  St. Albans Chief of Police Gary Taylor testified at the hearing in St. Albans last December.  The hearings spotlighted the crucial role of the Vermont Drug Task Force in coordinating local, state and federal law enforcement resources in combating drug crime.Earlier this month Leahy announced that Vermont would receive nearly $5 million in additional federal grant funding through the Byrne Grant Program.  Leahy had led successful efforts in the Senate to include these and other anti-crime resources in the economic stimulus plan.  Grants awarded through the program allow state and local governments to support a range of programs to help prevent crime, and are used for law enforcement, prevention, education, drug treatment and crime victims programs, as well as for planning, training, evaluation and technology improvement programs.last_img read more

Letters to the Editor for Friday, April 12

first_imgESPN crossed line on injury coverageAfter what I saw during the NCAA women’s championship game on April 7, I would say ESPN is absolutely disgusting — a pariah and worse.One, a player from Baylor went down with a bad injury near the end of the third quarter. While she was obviously in agony and being attended to on the floor, ESPN had a camera on the floor trying to get video of her. The Baylor coach was very smart, positioning herself so the camera could not show the player’s face.  Two, as the player was being taken to the locker room in a wheelchair by the medical staff, ESPN again had a camera in the corridor leading to the locker room and was providing a live feed that was put on the air. This type of treatment of a kid is beyond disrespectful and shows that the media has no boundaries in this nation. They are disgusting.Further — and this goes to the NCAA, too — at the break between the third and fourth quarters of the game, the national championship game, a goofball reporter from ESPN was on the floor interviewing the Baylor coach. The coach had better things to do, like coach her team at probably the biggest moment of the season. I’m sure the contract between the NCAA (another ship of fools) and the media provides that coaches will be made available for interviews during games. Bad, bad, bad.Dr. John MetalloSlingerlands Trump’s lies. We’ve heard them beforeYogi Berra must have had Donald Trump in mind when he said, “It’s déjà vu all over again!” I remember Trump telling us, “I have a health plan you will love” and on day one it will get done. This is just one of Trump’s ramblings, as he also said, “I know more than the generals.” Again, on day one he would give us a plan to get our troops home and ISIS will be defeated in two weeks. On and on he went with promises he could not keep, and I believe he never intended to keep.Yogi was right about déjà vu; it does happen all over again. It has now been two years-plus that Trump took office and he once more is telling us he will give us a “Health Plan that is better than anything we ever had.” He is also telling us ISIS is defeated, when in fact our generals are telling us ISIS is alive and well. Like Pinocchio, Trump continues to lie, and there are actually people that believe him even after his boasts never came to fruition. Instead of his nose growing, I do see more wrinkles and hair thinning. Seniors on Medicare owe a lot to the ACA, as it brought benefits such as care for existing medical conditions. Trump seeks to do away with the ACA to fill the pockets of insurance companies while taking away insurance from 20 million Americans. Déjà vu, you can bet on it!Gary Philip GuidoRotterdamMore from The Daily Gazette:Foss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsGov. Andrew Cuomo’s press conference for Sunday, Oct. 18Cuomo calls for clarity on administering vaccine Categories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionOne political party is hurting the countryAt this time, there is a party that is not good for our country. It embraces identity politics as its instrument to create a coalition of diverse groups that often claim victimization and injustice at nearly every turn. It is a divisive strategy that breeds anger and discontent.This party utilizes ideology and emotion as its vanguard. It does not allow pragmatism, facts or ignorance to lead them away from its preferred narrative. Differences of opinion be damned. Disagreement marks you as the enemy.At their core, party members celebrate diversity over merit. Most of academia perpetuates this tenet. However, real-world application values skill and ability over appearance. Diversity is delusional.This party promotes increasing dependency on the government. As the less-skilled and less-fortunate become more reliant on government services, so does their voting loyalty. This control leads to generational power. The presentation is sold as altruistic when, in fact, it is the methodology by which the ruling class maintains the status quo.Most importantly, this is a party that fails to promote a positive message. It has proven to be more interested in investigating than legislating. Their anti-Trump obsession completely dominates their political perspective. Where are the policies and platforms to move the country forward? I suppose the suggested redistribution of wealth will alleviate economic injustice. Their version of Robin Hood will be perceived to bring fairness between the haves and the have-nots. This may not rest well with the earners. Is this your party?John MyersRotterdam Junctionlast_img read more

Bank Indonesia says S&P outlook cut not a reflection of fundamentals

first_imgS&P Global Ratings’ downgrade of Indonesia’s outlook is not a reflection of fundamental economic problems, central bank Governor Perry Warjiyo said, stating that policy steps taken in response to the coronavirus pandemic will help to restore the nation’s financial trajectory.The comments from the Bank Indonesia chief come after S&P cut its outlook for the nation to negative from stable, while affirming its long-term foreign currency debt rating at BBB, the second-lowest investment grade score. The change was to reflect “additional downside risk to the government’s fiscal and external metrics” from the pandemic, S&P said on Friday.“The lingering economic and financial uncertainty is a global phenomenon and Indonesia is one of many countries that have taken policy responses in the area of fiscal, monetary and financial policy to mitigate the negative impact of the spread of COVID-19,” Perry wrote in a statement. The various policy steps taken by authorities “will be able to restore Indonesia’s economic trajectory, in terms of growth, external, and fiscal towards a more sustainable level in the not too distant future,” he added.Indonesian policy makers have announced a series of emergency measures in recent weeks as the coronavirus pandemic takes a toll on the economy. President Joko Widodo has unveiled stimulus packages worth $28 billion, boosted Bank Indonesia’s powers and suspended a budget deficit cap to allow the government to boost spending. The central bank has cut rates twice this year and intensified its intervention in financial markets.The move to suspend the fiscal deficit cap was seen as an “extraordinary” measure and “in response to a highly unpredictable, exogenous shock,” S&P said. Indonesia’s external position “has weakened following considerable depreciation of the rupiah, and the government’s debt burden will be materially higher over the next few years owing to strong counter-cyclical fiscal measures,” it added.The pandemic is seen slowing economic growth in Southeast Asia’s biggest economy to 2.3 percent this year, compared with an initial estimate of 5.3 percent, Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati said at the start of this month.Turning to unconventional tools, Bank Indonesia may start buying sovereign bonds directly from the government as early as next week — the first time it would be doing so.The central bank is in the final stages of completing an agreement with the Finance Ministry that will allow it to buy rupiah-denominated bonds as a non-competitive bidder in the primary market, Warjiyo told reporters Friday.Topics :last_img read more

Explosive device found in Mandurriao dumpsite

first_imgThe device was now under the custody ofthe police for proper disposition./PN ILOILO City – An explosive device wasfound at a dumpsite in Barangay Calajunan, Mandurriao district. Village councilman Joe de Honor was conductingpatrol in their barangay when he discovered the device around 9 a.m. on March27. center_img Sevederio then reported to the Explosiveand Ordinance Division of the Iloilo City Police Office.last_img

Batesville Students Could Travel To China This Spring

first_imgThe Great Wall of China is one destination on the trip.BATESVILLE – Students and parents have the opportunity to travel to China during Spring Break.Batesville Schools are partnering with the Chinese Education Connection to offer the trip that departs March 18 and returns on March 28.Travelers will visit Beijing, Hangzhou, and Shanghai and tour locations such as Forbidden City and the Great Wall.Grace Kontour, Chinese and Art Teacher at Batesville Community School Corporation, says the trip is open for all students in grades seven through twelve. She invites parents to attend the trip as well.“Their going to different culture and learning a different culture. China is a country we know that ninety percent of our products are manufactured there but do we really know the country? The trip gives students a chance to learn more about China.”An informational meeting will be held at the Batesville Middle School Media Center on Monday at 6:00 p.m.  Interested students and parents are asked to attend.“Even the people not sure if they want to go on the trip, I encourage them to go to the meeting so they can learn more and then decide,” Kontour said.last_img read more

Art spoils Australia’s day

first_imgAidan O’Brien’s highly touted newcomer Australia had to settle for second on his racecourse debut behind Renaissance Art in the Barronstown Stud EBF (C&G) Maiden at the Curragh. But the even-money favourite, who is a son of Galileo out of the great racemare Ouija Board, can be considered most unlucky, as he lost four or five lengths at the start when totally missing the break from the stalls. Joseph O’Brien’s mount made up lots of ground from the quarter-mile pole, but the Jim Bolger-trained Renaissance Art, who was also having his first start, hung on under Kevin Manning to prevail by a diminishing neck as a 10-1 chance. Press Associationcenter_img Both colts earned 25-1 quotes from Paddy Power for next season’s 2000 Guineas. O’Brien snr said of Australia: “We’re delighted with him. He came out of the stalls five minutes too late, that’s the only thing that went wrong. We thought the world of him before and he could go anywhere now.” Ger Flynn, representing Bolger, said of the winner: “Kevin was delighted with him and said he’ll improve bundles. He’s still a baby and he’s still learning. We’re very happy with him and he’s a very nice colt. Kevin said it rode like a very good race.” last_img read more

Tuqiri set for Leinster stint

first_imgDual international Lote Tuqiri is returning to rugby union with Leinster after he was granted a release by Wests Tigers, the Australian club have announced. “My first year in 2010 was incredible. To come back from rugby and to achieve what I did was a great feeling. “It was a great side to be a part of it but unfortunately we fell one game short of the grand final. “I would just like to thank former coach Tim Sheens for giving me that opportunity to again play in the NRL. I also enjoyed working under Mick Potter this season. “It was an honour to play for Wests Tigers and I know the club will only get stronger in the seasons ahead. There is some tremendous young talent here.” Tuqiri played 52 games for the Tigers in four seasons at the club, which were marred by injury. After playing a leading role in the club’s march to the preliminary final in 2010, the veteran winger managed just a handful of appearances over the last two campaigns. Tuqiri has played 151 NRL games, including a stint at the Broncos where he won a premiership in 2000. The former NSW Waratahs and Leicester player had a seven-year stint in rugby union from 2003 to 2009 during which he earned 67 caps and scored 30 tries for Australia, including an appearance in the 2003 World Cup final. The 33-year-old, who is out of contract with the Tigers at the end of the NRL season, agreed a three-month deal with the Irish outfit on Tuesday. “I’ve really enjoyed my time at Wests Tigers and will take with me a lot of special memories as well as many friendships I’ve made with the players and staff,” Tuqiri, who flew out of Sydney for Europe on Monday, said on West Tigers’ official website. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Lady Mariners lose two to Thomas

first_img admin Hancock County Court News Nov. 3 thorugh Dec. 11 – January 22, 2015 This is placeholder textThis is placeholder text House fire in Winter Harbor – October 27, 2014 Bio The Lady Mariners dropped two games to the Thomas College Terriers on Wednesday, as they lost 9-1 and 9-4 in a North Atlantic Conference double header at Ritchie Field. The Lady Mariners drop to 2-9 on the year and 0-2 in the NAC, while the Terriers improve to 4-6 and 2-0 in the NAC.Maine Maritime got 3 hits from Megan Russell (Peru, ME) and 2 from Nicole Poland (Damariscotta, ME) but it wasn’t enough as the Lady Mariners stranded 7 runners en route to the loss. Mallery Stanley (Standish, ME) gave up 10 hits and 7 walks, taking the loss for MMA. The Mariner defense was hampered by 6 errors in the final two innings.In the second game, Thomas collected 11 hits and had 11 walks on their way to the 9-4 victory. Thomas scored 4 runs in the top of the 1st inning, but MMA answered with 4 of their own in the bottom of the 2nd to tie the game. The Terriers scored 3 times in the 4th, taking advantage of 5 MMA walks, and finished off the game in the 7th with 2 more runs to put the Lady Mariners out of reach.For complete story, pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American. State budget vs. job creation – January 22, 2015 Latest Posts Latest posts by admin (see all)last_img read more