Facebook29Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Thurston Economic Development CouncilThe U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) awarded the Thurston Economic Development Council (EDC), the Washington State University (WSU) Thurston County Extension and the Northwest Agriculture Business Center (NABC) a Local Food Promotion Program (LFPP) Planning Grant to develop a Southwest Washington Food Hub.LFPP offers grant funds to support the development and expansion of local and regional food business enterprises to increase domestic consumption of, and access to, locally and regionally produced agricultural products, and to develop new market opportunities for farm and ranch operations serving local markets.“A food hub helps multiple local food producers aggregate their products in such a way as to make it easier for large purchasers like hospitals and colleges to buy more locally produced food. Establishing a Food Hub in our region will open markets to local food producers, increasing overall food production and increase local food options for consumers,” said Aslan Meade, Director of Strategic Alliances at the Thurston EDC.Meade explained that when economic development agencies in Spokane established the LINC food hub, Gonzaga University committed to participate as an initial buyer. This first guaranteed buyer allowed for the hub to establish and grow. LINC is now a worker and farmer-owned cooperative with more than 50 local food producers selling their wares to multiple buyers throughout their region.In the planning phase of the Food Hub, any farmer or processor within Lewis, Thurston, Grays Harbor or Peirce counties, interested in selling into the hub should contact Aslan Meade at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Sunday’s traffic jam as a result of ongoing road construction on Somalia Drive in Gardnerville left many commuters and church worshippers stranded for hours.Many of the commuters, including pregnant women, the elderly and women with babies on their backs were seen walking to their various destinations in Gardnerville and Stephen Tolbert Estate.Their facial expressions betrayed their anger and frustration as many complained they were getting late for their regular Sunday meetings and other appointments.A driver of a truck loaded with sand, identified as Mamadee Dukuly Keita, told the Daily Observer that he waited for two hours hoping for the traffic jam to subside.“It is actually the small commercial drivers that caused the problem,” Keita claimed.He added that small commercial drivers drove on the wrong side of the road and as a result caused unnecessary traffic jams.Taxi-cab driver Francis Thomas said truck drivers were also involved in violating traffic rules by driving on the wrong side of the road, and causing traffic jams.Hawa Moore, who was also affected, said many of the commercial drivers violate traffic regulations, “which resulted in the traffic jams.”Madam Moore said the Liberia National Police (LNP) traffic officers would have to enforce traffic regulations to prevent unnecessary traffic difficulties.Many of the people walked from Gardnerville to the Stockton Creek Bridge connecting New Georgia Estate. Though there was no construction work on Sunday, commercial drivers including taxis and buses, drove off the road on both sides.Some of the people pointed out that the inconveniences on Sunday were due to the lack of connecting roads from Somalia Drive to Monrovia.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Guyana Prize for Literature…says event planned for 2018By Lakhram BhagiratMinister with responsibility for Culture, Youth and Sport, Dr George Norton, on Monday denied claims that the Government withheld funding from the Guyana Prize Committee for the Guyana Prize for Literature awards, which was supposed to be held in July of 2017.Last week, Guyana Times reported that the coalition Government, in what has been described as an unprecedented move, was yet to provide funding for the prestigious Guyana Prize for Literature Awards.Minister with the responsibility for Culture, Dr George NortonHowever, Minister Norton – who was unclear as to why the award ceremony was not held – reiterated that he was “sure” Government would not deliberately withhold funding for the hosting of such an event. He added that he has a vested interest in the Guyana Prize and has been seeking information from both the Secretary to the Committee, Al Creighton and the Cultural Policy Advisor, Ruel Johnson.“I have written Mr Creighton and he is yet to respond and I am also seeking information from Mr Johnson, so if I am directly responsible for the Guyana Prize then we can ensure that it is held this year,” Norton said in an invited comment.The prestigious award ceremony was supposed to be held in July of 2017, with March 31 being the deadline for submissions. However, it is yet to be held since the Government has not released funding for the Guyana Prize Committee to go ahead with the awards.Last week, Creighton noted that the procedures for the prize have been put over to 2018. “The activities that should have taken place have been put over to this year, 2018 so that the other procedures for the prize would be completed in 2018. Basically, everything to do with the completion of the judging and the announcements and so on (remains to be completed),” he stated.He also refused to comment on the issue of funding and did commit to holding the event in 2018, but could not give a proposed date.The Guyana Prize is awarded to writers of Guyanese nationality in several different categories. These categories include Best First Book of Poetry, Best First Book of Fiction, Best Book of Poetry, Best Book of Fiction and Best Book of Drama. Additionally, the Guyana Prize also awards Books of Poetry, Fiction and Drama in separate categories for Caribbean writers.The Guyana Prize for Literature was established in 1987 to provide encouragement for the development of good creative writing among Guyanese in particular and Caribbean writers in general. The Prize is for published books and is open to works by citizens of Caribbean countries: Caricom States, the Commonwealth Caribbean, and the Netherland Antilles.To be eligible for entry, a book must have been written and published in English and for Drama –entries must be full-length plays. For Fiction and Poetry, the publishers must enter works. No more than one work by any author may be entered in each category.Over the years, the Prize has attracted both praise and criticism and would have awarded to several established writers, aiding in the development of the literature sector in Guyana. The judges are pulled from both the foreign and local literary sectors with vast knowledge in literature.
Hartman’s next event will be provincials in Courtney that will tee off August 18. Hartman was happy with his round overall, especially the front nine. He did however encounter some trouble the second time he came across the sixth hole.“It was a good front nine, [I] shot 37, went birdie, birdie to finish the front nine,” he explains. “It was going good until a misplayed shot on hole six, and it cost me three strokes, but I bounced back and birdied the last hole to shot 40, 77 overall.”The driver played a key role in his success throughout the round as Hartman was able to avoid any major trouble.- Advertisement -“My driver was pretty good, [it] didn’t really get me into danger at all,” he says. “[My] approach shots were good. The only thing probably hurt me was my wedge shots a little bit.”Even though he won his last two events, Hartman feels that he had a more complete effort this time out, compared to his previous round.“I played a lot better, or I felt I did. Not scoring wise, but I just felt a bit more confident making better shots, and not costing anything more.” Hartman says.Advertisement
School officials said students and their families will likely continue to take out loans to cover the family share, which is not impacted by the recent policy change. “The average family share doesn’t grow as much as the average scholarship,” Coye said. “The average need goes up, which means that the average cost increase is not picked up by the family. “If costs go up 5 percent, the family share may only go up 1 percent, which means scholarships will have to cover the remaining 4 percent,” she said. In the current academic year, 53 percent of students are receiving financial aid. The average financial aid package is $33,500, and about $3,000 of that now comes in the form of loans. But with the change in policy, loans will be replaced by additional scholarship money. Student leaders at the college said the loan policy change is welcome. “I definitely think that pretty much no matter what, college is going to be an expensive thing. But I think this really minimizes it,” said Elspeth Hilton, president of the Associated Students of Pomona College. “Even though tuition has risen a lot over the last four years I’ve been here, I think this does help and it does make an impact.” Hal Jakle, president of the Pomona Student Union, echoed Hilton’s remarks. “I trust that the financial planners at the college aren’t taking advantage of the students,” Jakle said. The board of trustees approved the decision to eliminate loans from financial aid packages on Dec. 12.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! CLAREMONT – Pomona College officials said they expect the recent decision by the board of trustees to eliminate loans from financial aid packages will reduce the overall debt burden of students. But the impact of the policy change may be blunted by an anticipated increase in costs for tuition and room and board. “We’re simply increasing every student’s scholarship,” said Richard Fass, vice president for planning at the college. “… Everything else will fall out however it falls out. People will do what people will do.” Since the 2003-04 academic year, costs for tuition as well as room and board at the college have risen from $36,870 to $45,3803. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan ClarksonFrom the previous school year to the current, the cost increased 6.9 percent. That was the highest year-to-year increase in the past five years. Tuition increases are driven by the cost of salaries and utilities, which are anticipated to continue rising, Fass said. “They’re all going up at rates in the ballpark (of 5 percent),” he said. As the cost of attending the school has increased, so have both the average scholarship amount as well as the average leftover cost students and families need to cover. About 250 students have taken out additional loans to cover the “family share” of expenses for this school year. The average loan size is about $7,000, said Patricia Coye, director of financial aid.
AdvertLooking good in denim this Easter is all the rage. And it just so happens that the Evolve Menswear Easter Denim sale is now on. Donegal’s leading menswear stockist has more than 100 styles in stock.Top Brands such as Tommy Hilfiger, G-Star, Eto, Mustang, Crosshatch, Gas, Jack and Jones, Levis & WranglerBuy 2 Sale Jeans for €49.95 with many more reduced to clear and also 10% off all footwear.And don’t forget with any purchase made, you will have the chance to win a EUR100 voucher. Draw takes place Easter Saturday evening. EVOLVE MENSWEAR GOT THE BLUES….AND ANY OTHER COLOUR OF DENIM YOU WANT! was last modified: March 29th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:denim saleevolve menswear
Is Cristiano Ronaldo on his way to Juventus this summer? 3 Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade 3 Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father moving on Liverpoolhave made a move to sign Besiktas’ 29-year-old Croatia defender Domagoj Vida, who is also a target for rivals Everton. (Daily Star)Meanwhile, Everton are set to sign 23-year-old Rennesdefender Ramy Bensebainiin a £13m deal. (Daily Star)Newcastle United will consider selling Matt Ritchie to Stoke Cityin a £15m deal – but only if they have a replacement lined up first. (The Sun)Manchester United have moved closer to signing 23-year-old Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic after Juventus withdrew their interest. (Tuttosport)United have had a £50m bid for AC Milan defender Alessio Romagnoli rejected. (Corriere dello Sport) LIVING THE DREAM targets REVEALED Latest transfer gossip on talkSPORT.com Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer Jordan Pickford was the hero for England against Colombia, and he was backed to shine on talkSPORT on Tuesday – SEE BELOW! Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Chelsea want £70m for Brazil midfielder Willian, with Barcelona and Manchester United are interested in the 29-year-old. (Mundo Deportivo)The Blues have turned down an offer of more than £50m for Willian from Barcelona.(Sky Sports)Chelsea have won the race to land Russia and CSKA Moscow star Aleksandr Golovin, with the 22-year-old in talks with the Blues over a potential transfer to Stamford Bridge… according to his mum. (Metro)Sevillaand France midfielder Steven N’Zonzi has told the club he wants to leave amid interest from Arsenal. (The Sun) Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January LATEST RANKED targets 3 IN DEMAND The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Cristiano Ronaldo is reportedly ‘open’ to the idea of joining Juventus this summer, with the Italian champions said to be preparing a £88million deal for the Portugal superstar – FULL STORYRonaldo will be offered a contract worth £26.5million a year by the Turin giants, according to reports.Leicester City’s Premier League-winning star Riyad Mahrez is expected to join Manchester City in the coming days in a deal that could be worth up to £60million – FULL STORYArsenal could sign Barcelona midfielder Andre Gomes. The LaLiga champions are reportedly looking to cash in on the Portugal international, with new Gunners manager Unai Emery keen on signing him for around £30million – FULL STORY Transfer rumours paper review new Here’s a round-up of all the top football headlines and transfer-related gossip from Wednesday’s newspapers and online… West Ham and Chelsea have started a bidding war to sign Felipe Anderson, with Monaco and Valencia also interested in the Lazio midfielder. (Daily Mirror)Leeds United are among the clubs keen on Bristol City left-back Joe Bryan. Premier League duo Burnley and Bournemouth and also interested in the 24-year-old, while Middlesbrough have been linked too. (Daily Mirror)Tottenham are interested in signing the 23-year-old Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Adrien Rabiot. (France Football)Chelsea could use Alvaro Morata as part of a swap deal for Juventus striker Gonzalo Higuain. (Gazetta dello Sport)Frank Lampard could be set to bring 21-year-old Chelsea midfielder Kasey Palmer to Derby County, after the Blues gave the move to go-ahead. (Sky Sports)Here are the latest talkSPORT.com headlines and transfer stories:Criticism of Jordan Pickford is ‘laughable’ and Thibaut Courtois was a ‘disgrace’ for comments about England goalkeeper, says Chris KirklandThis is the best chance England have ever had of repeating 1966 World Cup triumph, Sam Allardyce tells talkSPORT‘I told Liverpool to sign Jordan Pickford before he joined Everton’, reveals former Reds goalkeeper Chris KirklandManchester City have finally agreed a deal to sign Jorginho from Napoli for £48.7millionChelsea have joined the race to land Liverpool target Alisson, according to reports in ItalyAC Milan have placed a £31m price tag on Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain target Leonardo BonucciWest Ham have submitted a formal offer to Real Madrid for Mateo Kovacic, according to reports Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti
RANKED huge blow BEST OF To make the injury even more devastating, Koscielny was subsequently ruled out of France’s victorious World Cup campaign in Russia.The 33-year-old’s return will be a massive boost to Unai Emery as the defender played 45 minutes at Loughborough University Stadium before being taken off by Gunners’ legend Freddie Ljungberg – the U23s boss – and replaced with Jordi Osei-Tutu. LATEST PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS It was to be the only positive on an otherwise disappointing night for Arsenal, who were already a goal down, before Osei-Tutu was dismissed just 10 minutes after coming on and Danny Ballard was also shown red six minutes later.Rob Holding and Shkodran Mustafi have been Arsenal’s preferred centre-back pairing for their recent matches as the Gunners remain unbeaten in their last 17 matches in all competitions. 2 Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? ADVICE Forbes list reveals how much Mayweather, Ronaldo and Messi earned this decade Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Laurent Koscielny made his comeback on Monday night following a six-month injury lay-off as he played for Arsenal‘s U23 side in their 5-0 defeat to Derby County.It was a first appearance of the season for the club captain after he ruptured his Achilles in the Europa League semi-final second-leg against Atletico Madrid in May. Laurent Koscielny returned to action for Arsenal on Monday Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won REVEALED 2 The France defender played the opening 45 minutes no dice REVEALED MONEY Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card
Charlie Kelly flags up the fun he had at the Glenswilly Cul Camp. ALL PICS BY GERALDINE DIVERGLENSWILLY GAA CUL CAMP – PICTURE SPECIAL was last modified: July 12th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Cul CampdonegalGlenswilly GAA