WJLA(ANNAPOLIS, Md.) — Members of the tight-knit community of Annapolis, Maryland, gathered to mourn the loss of five people who were shot and killed Thursday in the newsroom of its local newspaper, the Capital Gazette.A candlelight vigil was held in the states’s capital, where hundreds of attendees said prayers and held up copies of the Capital Gazette’s front page on Friday, which reads, “5 shot dead at The Capital.”Wendi Winters, Rob Hiaasen, Gerald Fischman, John McNamara and Rebecca Smith died in the shooting. All were journalists but Smith, who worked as a sales assistant for the newspaper.“They don’t get to go home to their families,” one mourner said during the walking vigil. “The families don’t get to have them.”Winters’ daughters were seen embracing each other at the vigil, just one day after their mother was killed.A lone bagpiper played “Amazing Grace” as people somberly walked through the city. Three women sang “Will the Circle Be Unbroken” as they walked, crying once the song was over.Earlier, another vigil was held at the Annapolis mall, across the street from the Capital Gazette, where first responders had set up a reunification center the day before during the active shooting event.Despite the tragedy, employees of the Capital Gazette are continuing to put together a newspaper for the next few days, working Friday out of the offices of the Baltimore Sun, which owns the Capital Gazette, family members told ABC News.The newspaper staff is expected to be back in Annapolis tomorrow.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
iStock/Thinkstock(ARLINGTON, Va.) — Arlington National Cemetery is back open to the public on Wednesday afternoon after a bomb threat earlier in the day closed the cemetery for several hours.Around 11 a.m. EST, Arlington National Cemetery officials and Joint Base-Myer Henderson Hall emergency services responded to a bomb threat to the cemetery, according to Barbara Lewandrowski, director of the cemetery’s public affairs.Families, visitors, and employees were evacuated from the area while authorities investigated the threat, Lewandrowski said.For the next four hours, the cemetery remained closed to the general public, though funeral services continued as usual.Around 3:00 p.m. EST, Arlington National Cemetery announced that authorities had cleared the area and normal operations had resumed, opening the cemetery to the public until its normal closing time of 7 p.m.“We take our responsibility seriously to ensure a safe and secure environment to our family members, guests, visitors and employees, and thank all our internal and external partners for their support and cooperation,” said Kate Kelley, cemetery superintendent, in a tweet from Arlington National Cemetery.“I would especially like to thank our family members for their patience during this time and our employees for continuing to support the funeral services today,” she added.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
iStock/Thinkstock(CINCINNATI) — Three people were killed and two others wounded in a shooting at a bank headquarters in downtown Cincinnati Thursday morning, police said.Officers responded to a 911 call around 9:10 a.m. local time about an “active shooter” at Fifth Third Bank near Fountain Square, according to Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot Isaac.The suspect had opened fire in the building’s loading dock before continuing into the lobby area and firing more shots, police said.Five people were shot, including three who died from their injuries, Isaac told reporters at a press conference Thursday morning.The area was cordoned off as police responded to the incident and worked to evacuate people inside the bank.Multiple officers “engaged” the suspect, who is now dead, Isaac said. The alleged shooter has not been identified.No officers were injured in the incident, and a weapon was recovered from the scene.UC Health in Cincinnati confirmed via Twitter that it received four of the victims — three males and one female. Two have since died, while one remains in critical condition and the other is in serious condition, the hospital said.“Our physicians and staff are focused on caring for the patients and their families. We prepare for situations like these and hope they never happen,” UC Health tweeted.The victims have not yet been identified.Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley told reporters that the suspect was “actively shooting innocent victims.”The motive for the shooting was not immediately known. Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
ISP is investigating a fatal crash in Fulton County. Preliminary info is three children were struck & killed at a school bus stop near 4600 N State Road 25. @ISPPeru PIO Sgt. Tony Slocum is at the scene. Updated and confirmed info will be sent via news release later today.— Indiana State Police (@IndStatePolice) October 30, 2018The driver of the truck is a 24-year-old woman who stayed at the scene and has been cooperating with police, WRTV reported.The Tippecanoe Valley School Corporation posted a statement on Facebook after the incident.“Our school corporation has suffered a tragedy this morning. We have learned of three student fatalities and one student seriously injured and airlifted to a Fort Wayne hospital as they were hit by a vehicle while boarding their bus. We have deployed all school counselors to meet the emotional needs of our staff, students and parents,” the school wrote on Facebook. “We are awaiting to learn more confirmed details but wish to ask the community to come together to pray for the families, our students and our staff.”This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved. WLS(ROCHESTER, Ind.) — Three children from the same family were killed and a fourth child was seriously injured Tuesday morning when they were struck by a pickup truck as they were about to board a school bus, police said.Twin 6-year-old brothers and their 9-year-old sister were killed in incident on a rural road in Indiana, and an 11-year-old boy suffered multiple broken bones, police told ABC Indianapolis affiliate WRTV.The incident occurred around 7:15 a.m. in Rochester, a city near Fort Wayne, the Indiana State Police said. The injured boy was taken to a Fort Wayne hospital by helicopter.The four children were crossing a two-lane road from a mobile home park to get to their school bus when they were struck by a Toyota Tacoma truck, police said. A preliminary investigation showed the yellow school bus was in the northbound lane of State Road 25 with its emergency lights flashing and its and its stop-sign arm out when the children were struck by the southbound truck, state police said.
ABC News(NEW YORK) — The East Coast is bracing for an intense winter storm moving from the Midwest into the Northeast.A smaller storm moved through the Northeast Friday morning.Snow accumulations along the Interstate 95 corridor were fairly light — just 1 to 2 inches.Next, snow will hit the Midwest and Plains on Friday.Public schools in Omaha cancelled classes for Friday due to the weather.The snow will be especially heavy in Iowa wand southern Minnesota and Wisconsin.Saturday morning heavy snow will be falling all across the Midwest, including Chicago.Rain will move into Washington, D.C. Saturday afternoon and evening.By Saturday night, snow will be hitting Philadelphia and New York City.There’s forecast to be heavy snow in Indianapolis and Cleveland, as well as most of Pennsylvania and western New York around Syracuse and Buffalo.On Sunday morning it’ll be raining in Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and New York City, while residents in Boston will see an icy mix.Further north, very heavy snow is forecast for Albany, New York, as well as Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.The rain will end in Philadelphia Sunday morning but Boston won’t see an end to its snow and ice until Sunday night.Icy spots on roadways will linger into Monday morning in New England.Snow totalsNew York City could see 2 to 3 inches of snow and 1 to 2 inches of sleet, with Philadelphia receiving a bit less of both.Washington will mostly see rain while Boston will get more snow, maybe more than half a foot.Upstate New York, central Pennsylvania and much of New England may see more than 2 feet of snow.Brutal coldBehind the storm, an Arctic blast is forecast to spill into the central and eastern U.S., delivering the coldest air of the season and brutally cold wind chills Monday morning.The wind chill is expected to fall to negative 20 degrees in New York City on Monday and negative 29 degrees in Cincinnati.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Photo by Stewart F. House/Getty Images The casket carrying Botham Shem Jean arrives at Greenville Avenue Church of Christ on September 13, 2018 in Richardson, Texas.(DALLAS) — The woman who filmed the aftermath of the shooting of Botham Jean — the man killed in his own apartment by former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger — said she has been receiving death threats and was fired from her job after she uploaded the video to social media.The video shows an apparently distressed Guyger, still in her police uniform, talking on her phone as she paces back-and-forth outside Jean’s apartment on Sept. 6. The neighbor who took it, who only wished to be identified by the name “Bunny,” said in an interview published on Jan. 20 on YouTube by the Advise Media Network that she began recording about 60 seconds after hearing two gunshots and hearing a male voice saying, “Oh my God. Why did you do that?”Bunny says she didn’t plan on uploading the video at first, but in the days after the shooting, she saw reports that contradicted what was on the video she took on her phone.Jean, 26, lived on the fourth floor of the Southside Flats apartments in Dallas, according to an arrest warrant filed in September. Guyger, who lived directly below Jean on the third floor, said she parked on the fourth floor and walked down the hallway to what she “thought was her apartment,” the warrant stated.Bunny cast doubt in the interview on Guyger’s explanation, saying that she “would have had to walk down two pretty long hallways to get to his door,” and would have passed “plenty” of signage to indicate which floor she was on.The neighbor also argued that the apartments are equipped with fire safety front doors that “shut as soon as your release them,” saying that it was unlikely that Jean’s door was ajar when Guyger approached it.When Guyger entered the apartment, she saw a “large silhouette” in the dark and shot Jean, thinking he was a burglar, according to her arrest warrant. She was off duty and not wearing a body camera at the time because it had been left at the station, per police protocol.Filming from a lower floor through the staircase railings, Bunny said in her interview that it sounded as if Guyger was making a personal call — rather than to 911 — as she frantically walked around the hallway outside Jean’s apartment. She added that it appeared Guyger did not attempt to render aid to Jean.“It was just a lot of crying, a lot of hysterics,” Bunny said. “She was just pacing back-and-forth for at least seven minutes, according to my video.”Police said after the shooting that Guyger called 911 for help, and the responding officers administered aid to Jean at the scene.Once police arrived on the scene, one of the officers told Guyger that she was “doing too much” and another took her cell phone from her, Bunny said. The investigators then took Guyger back to the scene, Bunny added.Jean was then taken to a local hospital where he later died, police said.Bunny said she gave the video to the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office. Prosecutors did not offer a comment to ABC News due to a gag order on the case.The harassment began shortly after Bunny uploaded the video to social media, she said.“I did get a few threats from people saying they weren’t gonna leave any witnesses behind, telling me I need to watch my back, things like that,” she said.Trolls also found the name of the pharmaceutical company where Bunny worked and began harassing the company by phone, email and posting to its Facebook page, saying she was a “radical,” “anti-police” and “a black extremist,” she said.Bunny said her employer let her go, explaining that they “didn’t want their company associated with a high-profile case.” When she threatened to go to the media, they then “took it a step further” and blacklisted her credentials, which she said they were able to do because she earned the credentials while working for them.Bunny did not reveal the name of the company because she is in the process of appealing the blacklisting of her credentials, she said. ABC News could not independently confirm her claims that she was fired, or, if so, why.While Bunny said she would only interact with Jean — who worked at multinational professional services firm PricewaterhouseCoopers — in passing, in the interview she described him as “very, very friendly” and said that he “seemed to have good energy about himself and be in good spirits.”Guyger, 30, was fired on Sept. 24 after an internal affairs investigation found that she “engaged in adverse conduct” when she fatally shot Jean, according to an email sent by Dallas Police Chief Rene Hall that day. She was indicted on a murder charge on Nov. 30.Guyger’s attorney, Robert Rogers, told ABC News he is prohibited on commenting on the case due to a gag order. A hearing for Guyger scheduled for Tuesday has been reset for a later date. Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
ablokhin/iStock(SEATTLE) — Amazon, which bought Whole Foods in 2017 for about $13.7 billion, is planning to open a separate grocery chain, beginning in Los Angeles, according to The Wall Street Journal.Sources familiar with the project told The Journal the first new store could open at the end of 2019 and that talks are underway to add locations in Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco and Seattle, where the company is based. Amazon, which at the end of January reported a quarterly profit in excess of $3 billion as revenue surged 20 percent to almost $72.4 billion, also is considering acquiring regional grocery chains.The new grocery stores are expected to offer a variety of products at lower price points than many of those carried by Whole Foods, which, according to the company’s website, has 497 locations — 476 in the U.S., 14 in Canada, seven in the U.K. — and employs 89,000 people.Amazon recently abandoned plans to open a massive office in New York City that, the company said, would have created tens of thousands of jobs.Politicians and business leaders this week composed an open letter to CEO Jeff Bezos begging him to reconsider.When trading concluded on Friday, Amazon’s market cap was more than $821.1 billion.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Alabama Law Enforcement Agency(DEKALB COUNTY, Ala.) — An 11-year-old Georgia girl was found dead after she went missing from her aunt’s Alabama home, according to officials.The body of Amberly Barnett was found Saturday morning, DeKalb County Sheriff Nick Welden said.Amberly was last seen on Friday at her aunt’s DeKalb County home, reported ABC Atlanta affiliate WSB-TV.“Due to the current investigation, we are limited on the information we are able to release,” Welden said in a Saturday statement. “I can tell you we are diligently pursuing different avenues and Lord willing we will have answers in the upcoming days.”A sheriff’s office spokesman told ABC News Monday he could not provide more details on the case, including if foul play was suspected.“I couldn’t have asked for a better daughter,” Amberly’s mother, Jonie Barnett, told WSB-TV in an emotional interview on Sunday.“Nobody should bury their 11-year-old child,” Barnett said. “She deserves more than justice. She deserves her life.”Welden said in Saturday’s statement, “Please keep the family in your thoughts and prayers as we move forward during this tragic event.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images(VIRGINIA BEACH, Va.) — The public utilities engineer who allegedly gunned down 12 people, including 11 colleagues, at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center sent an email that he was resigning just hours before the massacre, writing that “it has been a pleasure to serve the city,” according to a copy of letter released by officials on Monday.In the short email, DeWayne Craddock, 40, telecast nothing of the horror that was to come on Friday afternoon in Building 2 of the Municipal Center.“I want to officially put in my (2) weeks’ notice to vacate my position of Engineer with the City of Virginia Beach,” Craddock wrote in the email. “It has been a pleasure to serve the City, but due to personal reasons I must relieve my position.”Craddock did not elaborate on what his personal issues were.Virginia Beach City Manager Dave Hansen said on Sunday that Craddock was in “good standing” at work and had no ongoing disciplinary issues. Hansen said Craddock’s latest work evaluation showed he had a “satisfactory” job performance.Police investigating the massacre have yet to release a motive for what may have prompted the bloodshed. Craddock was killed after a prolonged gun fight with police.“We continue to speak with witnesses, and others who may have information,” a police spokesperson told ABC News on Monday. “It is still in the early stages of such a large investigation. Additional details, if obtained, will be shared once we reach a point where it will not jeopardize the investigation.”This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Miami-Dade County Department Of Corrections(MIAMI) — A Miami Beach woman was arrested on Saturday for jabbing at and stomping on a sea turtle nest. Yaqun Lu, 41, crossed into an area of the beach that was cordoned off by wooden stakes and tape to protect the nest and began digging at it with one of the stakes, police told Miami ABC affiliate WPLG.She then began “jabbing at a sea turtle nest and stomping all over the nest,” the Miami Beach Police Department said. Lu was arrested and has been charged with harassing/molesting a marine turtle or eggs, according to jail records. The crime is a third-degree felony in Florida and she could face a hefty fine if found guilty.She is being held on $5,000 bond.Lu is a Chinese national, but lives in Michigan, according to WPLG.Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officials inspected the nest and said the eggs were not damaged in the odd outburst.Sea turtles, depending on the species, are listed as either endangered or threatened and are protected by the federal Endangered Species Act of 1973 and Florida’s Marine Turtle Protection Act. Anyone who handles sea turtles or their eggs, such as for scientific or educational purposes, must be licensed by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission.Loggerhead, green and leatherback marine turtles all lay eggs on Miami Beach, according to the city. Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.