The Fed: No Changes to Interest Rates

first_img Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Mike Albanese is a reporter for DS News and MReport. He is a University of Alabama graduate with a degree in journalism and a minor in communications. He has worked for publications—both print and online—covering numerous beats. A Connecticut native, Albanese currently resides in Lewisville. The Federal Reserve announced that it would not lower the benchmark rate any further than its current range of 1.5% to 1.75%, ending a string of cuts to interest rates. In its official announcement, the Fed stated, “the current stance of monetary policy is appropriate to support sustained expansion of economic activity.” The Fed’s decision to not slash interest rates comes just days after the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics revealed the U.S. economy added 266,000 jobs in November, with the unemployment rate holding steady at 3.5%. “It’s a significant surprise because economists were ready to go with the idea that payroll growth was slowing down because the job market had gotten tight,” said Stephen Stanley, Chief Economist at Amherst Pierpont in an interview with Bloomberg. “The whole tenor has changed in terms of job growth. We’re back at steady-as-she-goes at a robust pace.”Projections from the Fed now indicate that the current interest rate environment is enough to sustain growth, as there are no plans to cut rates in 2020. The Fed most recently cut rates in October to its current standing of 1.5% to 1.75%—the third time in 2019 rates were cut. “Global central banks maintain accommodative stances in their monetary policies, focused on steering economies away from a recessionary precipice,” said George Ratiu, Senior Economist, realtor.com on Wednesday’s announcement. Ratiu said the most was anticipated by investors and that mortgage rates are expected to remain consistent in the months ahead. “Rates are over 100 basis points below last year, providing wind in the sails for homebuyers,” Ratiu said. “However, the sharp contraction in the number of homes available for sale across all price ranges has dampened the housing momentum.” CNBC also reported that just four of the 17 members anticipated a one quarter-point increase in 2020. Projections past next year point to a return to increases, as forecasts call for the average interest rate in 2021 to be 1.9% and 2.1% in 2022. The Fed: No Changes to Interest Rates Share Save Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Sign up for DS News Daily Previous: The States Leading in Nationwide Delinquency Rate Drops Next: A Third Wave of Post-Recession Distress? Tagged with: Interest Rate The Fed Related Articles Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days agocenter_img Home / Daily Dose / The Fed: No Changes to Interest Rates December 11, 2019 1,413 Views The Week Ahead: Nearing the Forbearance Exit 2 days ago Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago  Print This Post About Author: Mike Albanese Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Interest Rate The Fed 2019-12-11 Mike Albanese in Daily Dose, Featured, Government, News Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Subscribelast_img read more

Update: Man missing in Buncrana found safe and well

first_img Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Twitter Google+ Pinterest WhatsApp WhatsApp A man in his 70’s that went missing last night in Buncrana has been located safe and well.The vulnerable man was last seen last night around 10:30 pm driving a silver Toyota Verso with registration number 131 DL 233.While the search was focused on the Buncrana area, it was believed the man may have travelled a distance and may have become confused.Lough Swilly Lifeboat carried out a search along with An Garda Siochana, Greencastle Coast Guard and the Search and Rescue 118 helicopter from Sligo.Press Officer for the Lough Swilly Lifeboat Joe Joyce has thanked members of the public for their help:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/updatejoyce-2.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Pinterest Update: Man missing in Buncrana found safe and wellcenter_img By News Highland – November 16, 2019 AudioHomepage BannerNews Previous articleBundoran Lifeboat stood down after afternoon launchNext articleInsufficient markings and signage on Leck road – Coyle News Highland Google+ Facebook Facebook Community Enhancement Programme open for applications News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic last_img read more

Update on the latest sports

first_imgNHL-WEBSTER OBITEx-NHL, WHA forward Webster diesUNDATED (AP) — Former NHL and WHA player and head coach Tom Webster has died at 71, according to the Carolina Hurricanes.Webster’s playing career took off once he jumped to the WHA, where he had 220 goals and 425 points in 352 games over six seasons with the New England and Hartford Whalers from 1972-78. He later went on to coach the New York Rangers and Los Angeles Kings.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Associated Press Garza has announced he’ll enter the draft process without an agent so he can maintain his college eligibility. The All-America center was runner-up to Dayton’s Obi Toppin (OH’-bee TAH’-pihn) for Associated Press national player of the year after becoming the first Big Ten player in 26 years to average at least 26 points per game in conference play.Garza scored a school-record 740 points this season, breaking the program’s 50-year old record.Carey Jr. is entering the NBA draft after being named the ACC’s player of the year and newcomer of the year by The Associated Press. He had been considered a likely one-and-done prospect and projected first-round pick.Carey averaged team highs of 17.8 points, 8.8 rebounds and 1.6 blocks while shooting 57.7% as a physical inside presence.Creighton guard Ty-Shon Alexander declared for the draft with the option to return to school for his final season of eligibility. Alexander was named to the All-Big East first team after leading the Bluejays with 16.9 points per game. He said Friday he would go through the evaluation process by league executives to determine if he should stay in the June 25 draft or withdrawal by the May 29 deadline. MacDermid has become a regular on the blue line for the Kings this season, getting three goals and five assists in a career-high 45 games. He has scored 13 points with 115 penalty minutes during parts of three seasons with Los Angeles.NHL-STAPLETON OBITEx-Blackhawks blueliner Stapleton diesTORONTO (AP) — Former Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Pat Stapleton has died at 79.The three-time Second Team All-Star was on Canada’s Summit Series squad in 1972 and is alleged to have claimed the puck from Paul Henderson’s series-winning goal over the Soviet Union. He played eight seasons with the Blackhawks from 1956-66 to 1972-73, helping them to Stanley Cup final appearances in 1971 and 1973. Josh Green is the latest Arizona freshman to declare for the draft, joining Nico Mannion and Zeke Nnaji in leaving early. The Australian-born Green is projected to be a first-round pick after averaging 12 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.6 assists during his lone season with the Wildcats. The athletic, 6-foot-6 guard grew up in Sydney before his family moved to Phoenix.VIRUS OUTBREAK-SPORTSNationals report 1 positive test, not a playerUNDATED (AP) — Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo says a non-playing team employee tested positive for the coronavirus and is “on the road to getting better.”Rizzo says no players for the reigning World Series champions have shown any symptoms of COVID-19 at any point and so no one has been tested. He said the team’s medical staff checks in each day with every player and staff member. — Former University of Georgia standout running back Todd Gurley has formally agreed to a one-year contract with the Falcons, pending a physical. The framework of the deal was agreed to on March 20, less than 24 hours after Gurley was released by the Rams, and finalized this week. He was one of the NFL’s top running backs with the Rams and says he has no doubt he can still meet that standard. — The Cowboys have signed cornerback Saivion Smith, adding the former XFL player about the same time the spring league announced it was suspending operations. Smith played for Houston, which was the only undefeated team in the XFL when the league stopped playing last month after five games because of the new coronavirus outbreak. Smith led Alabama with three interceptions in his only season in 2018.NHL-KINGS-MACDERMIDLA Kings sign MacDermid to 2-year contract extensionLOS ANGELES (AP) — Defenseman Kurtis MacDermid has agreed to a two-year, $1.75 million contract extension through the 2021-22 season with the Los Angeles Kings. April 10, 2020center_img Update on the latest sports Rizzo said the ailing employee was at the team’s spring training facility in West Palm Beach, Florida, and now is home after his quarantine ended. Rizzo said the employee is fever-free and symptom-free.In other news related to the coronavirus pandemic:— The chief executive of the Tokyo Games says he can’t guarantee the postponed Olympics will be staged next year because the coronavirus continues to spread in Japan. The country issued an emergency declaration this week to battle the virus. Organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto says “I don’t think anyone would be able to say if it is going to be possible to get it under control by next July or not. We certainly are not in a position to give you a clear answer.” The Olympics were postponed last month with a new opening set for July 23, 2021, followed by the Paralympics on Aug. 24.— The U.S. Olympic swimming trials have been rescheduled for June 13-20, 2021 in Omaha, Nebraska. The trials were initially scheduled for June 21-28 and are the sole qualifier for U.S. Olympic team, with the top two finishers in each event earning a trip to Tokyo. The original 15-session, eight-day schedule will remain for the rescheduled trials.— Florida State offensive lineman Andrew Boselli says he and his famous father are both recovering from COVID-19. The son of former NFL lineman Tony Boselli writes on Florida State’s athletic department website that he dealt with the worst of the virus for about three days. The Seminoles lineman wrote he “spent days feeling miserable” and his healthy 47-year-old father with no underlying health conditions “spent three days in the intensive care unit.” Tony Boselli is now back home. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditCOLLEGE BASKETBALL-IOWA-GARZAIowa’s Garza enters draft, keeps college eligibility for nowUNDATED (AP) — Iowa’s Luka Garza and Duke’s Vernon Carey Jr. head the latest cluster of college basketball players who are testing their potential value in the upcoming NBA draft. NFL-NEWSReport: Brees to join NBC after playing career endsUNDATED (AP) — The New York Post is reporting that New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees (breez) will join NBC after he retires.The 41-year old Brees will be going into his 20th NFL season this year and is signed through 2021. He is expected to begin as an analyst on Notre Dame games and in the studio for “Football Night in America” before eventually moving into the “Sunday Night Football” booth.In other NFL news: — The XFL has suspended operations and laid off its employees. Employees were told of the layoffs Friday during an in-house conference call. The upstart league backed by WWE canceled the remainder of its season last month because of the coronavirus pandemic, but promised to be back in 2021. The moves have left the league’s future in doubt. The XFL has eight franchises and played five games out of a planned 10-game schedule.— Blake Snell, Juan Soto and Bo Bichette are among the baseball stars switching over to PlayStation with America’s pastime on hold. One player from each of the 30 major league teams has signed on to play a round-robin regular season on the MLB The Show video game with the real season on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic. Snell, a Cy Young Award winner with Tampa Bay, will face Cincinnati reliever Amir Garrett in the opener Friday night. That matchup will air on Snell’s Twitch feed, and other games will be streamed via Twitch and YouTube with MLB Network host Robert Flores providing commentary.— New Jersey Devils defenseman P.K. Subban (SOO’-ban) and the NHL are bringing something new to television Saturday for fans dealing with the isolation and hardships caused by the coronavirus outbreak. It’s NHL Hat Trick Trivia. Subban is the host of the weekly 30-minute show in which contestants will answer up to three hockey trivia questions for prizes, the top one being two tickets to any game next season. Everything is filmed remotely with Subban hosting the show from his living room in Los Angeles, in the house he shares with fiancee and Olympic gold medalist Lindsey Vonn. Contestants are filmed at their homes and there is a guest player every week.— Basketball’s Sabrina Ionescu, soccer’s Carli Lloyd and swimming’s Katie Ledecky are among the athletes who will help young girls and women stay mentally and physically fit during the coronavirus pandemic. The Women’s Sports Foundation and Yahoo Sports are launching #WeKeepPlaying, a live-stream event on Saturday at 4 p.m. EDT. They’ll join tennis great Billie Jean King and former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in taking questions from young athletes and providing tips on resilience and training. Sports broadcaster Cari Champion will moderate the hour discussion, streamed on YahooSports.com.— The defending soccer champions in Belarus have started putting mannequins in the stands as fans stay away from stadiums because of the coronavirus. Dynamo Brest has been selling “virtual tickets” to games. Those give foreign fans the right to have a mannequin with a cut-out photo attached. It comes as fans at many clubs have said they will boycott games because the virus makes going to the stadium too risky. Keeping sports arenas open has been part of Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko’s unconventional approach to the coronavirus. He has said there is no need to close workplaces and public events.last_img read more