Ireland and Germany clash over what happens if the UK leaves the EU

first_img By admin – June 17, 2016 Previous articleMickey Harte doesn’t mind being favourites but knows Cavan have improvedNext articleJoule Donegal International Rally – Day1 Preview admin RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire Google+center_img Twitter Google+ Finance Minister Michael Noonan has opened up a dispute with his German counterpart over what happens if Britain leaves the EU.The two finance ministers are at odds over whether the UK should still be given access to free trade with the other 27 states.The matter was discussed last night at a meeting of the Eurozone’s finance ministers in Luxembourg.The German finance minister told the meeting that if the UK leaves, it will lose its trading access with the EU – but Michael Noonan disagrees with that stance………..Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/noonanuk.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Facebook Ireland and Germany clash over what happens if the UK leaves the EU WhatsApp Pinterest Homepage BannerNews Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North last_img read more

NYC marks anniversary of first COVID-19 death with memorial services

first_imgNoam Galai/Getty ImagesBy IVAN PEREIRA, ABC News(NEW YORK) — On March 14, 2020, New York City recorded its first death from the coronavirus, and in one year, that toll skyrocketed to over 30,000 lives lost — more than 10 times the number of people killed on Sept. 11, 2001.On Sunday, New Yorkers of all walks of life marked this grim anniversary with several events to honor and memorialize their fallen neighbors on some of the city’s iconic locations.Earlier in the afternoon, Lincoln Center premiered a music video featuring the Young People’s Chorus of New York City performing “You’ll Never Walk Alone,” from the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical Carousel.In the evening, candles were lit around the fountains and stayed on for 30 minutes, one minute for every thousand New Yorker deaths.Later Sunday night, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio hosted a memorial service that streamed live and included photos and videos of New Yorkers who died.“Voices from across the city will join as one to stand in solidarity and demonstrate how we remain strong, hopeful and determined,” de Blasio said in a statement.The New York Philharmonic played “Dectet” as black and white images of New Yorkers killed by the virus were projected onto the Brooklyn Bridge in a memorial service called “A COVID-19 Day of Remembrance.”Bishop Hezekiah Walker and the Love Fellowship choir performed and more images were projected as spiritual leaders gave remarks and prayed for the victims.NYC 2021 Youth Poet Laureate Serena Yang recited an original poem that reflected on the deaths.“A city that never sleeps is a city that never forgets,” she said.Carolina Juarez Hernandez, of East Harlem, wiped away tears as she spoke about losing her father to the virus.She and the rest of her close family members were also diagnosed with the virus last March, but her father became severely ill, was hospitalized and eventually died.Hernandez said she was not allowed to give her father one last hug before he passed in April.“To this day I cannot remember when I hugged him the last time,” she said.Hernandez said that she and her family have been able to move on thanks to the support of her fellow New Yorkers and reassured people that they can get through the rest of the pandemic.“I want anyone who has struggled to know you are never alone,” she said.Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Trojans kick off season against Rainbow Warriors

first_imgAmid a preseason full of widespread uncertainty involving crippling injuries, still-undecided position battles and a new defensive scheme, USC’s football team will look to begin its 2013 campaign with one familiar constant — a victorious season opener against Hawai’i.Center of attention · The Trojans will rely on redshirt junior linebacker Hayes Pullard as a fulcrum in defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast’s 5-2 scheme as the leading returner on defense with 108 tackles. – Daily Trojan file photo Thursday’s game in Aloha Stadium marks the third time in the past four seasons that USC has started its season against the Warriors, and the Trojans put up 49 points in both the 2010 and 2012 contests to put the games out of the Warriors’reach.On the first play of scrimmage in last year’s matchup, a simple 5-yard out route by then-sophomore wide receiver Marqise Lee turned into a 75-yard touchdown after Lee juked out a helpless Hawai’i defender on his way to scampering down the sideline for a score and figuratively announcing himself as a Heisman frontrunner.One year later, Lee is generally considered the top wideout in the nation, and sophomore Nelson Agholor and freshman Darreus Rogers both appear to have the talent to pull off a similar game-breaking play against the Warriors’ porous pass defense.It’s still unclear, however, which of the redshirt sophomore quarterbacks Cody Kessler and Max Wittek will be delivering the ball to Lee and the rest of the receiving corps.“We’re excited to see both of them play,” USC head coach Lane Kiffin said. “We look at it as an opportunity for two guys to play great, just like when you’re excited for two guys to play tailback.”Fittingly, the Trojans are also expected to split touches in the backfield between freshman Justin Davis and redshirt sophomore Tre Madden to compensate for the absence of senior Silas Redd, who will not travel to Hawai’i. Redd has been nursing a knee injury throughout fall camp after undergoing surgery on his meniscus in the spring.“I had the worst possible meniscus tear you could have,” Redd told Scott Wolf of the Los Angeles Daily News earlier this week. “It’s extremely frustrating. I want to play extremely bad.”If Kessler ends up starting against Hawai’i, USC’s first-string backfield will have virtually no game experience on offense; Kessler has only attempted and completed two passes for the Trojans — in mop-up duty last year versus Colorado — and neither Davis nor Madden have recorded a carry.But compared to the Warriors’ current situation on offense, USC’s attack looks like a sure thing.Hawai’i fired offensive coordinator Aaron Price at the beginning of fall camp after the Warriors finished last season ranked 101st in passing yards per game (189.8) and 114th in rushing yards per game (108.6). Hawai’i coach Norm Chow will assume playcalling duties, setting up a rare matchup between head coaches doubling as offensive playcallers.Last year’s starting quarterback, senior Sean Schroeder, has been passed over in favor of junior Taylor Graham, a transfer from Ohio State.Graham was ranked as the No. 14 quarterback in his class out of high school by Rivals.com and should be a better fit in coach Norm Chow’s pro-style system than his predecessor. But he hasn’t started a game since 2009, when he was in high school, and the firing of the team’s offensive coordinator just weeks before the start of the season appears to signal a lack of confidence from Chow in how his unit was performing leading up to the season.And even though the Warriors return eight starters on defense, none of them showed the ability to contain the Trojans’ passing game last year.USC torched the Warriors for 372 yards through the air, with Lee accounting for 197 of those in addition to a 100-yard kick return for a touchdown.This year the Trojans’ aerial attack could thrive again, even with two inexperienced quarterbacks.The main knock on Kessler and Wittek throughout the preseason has been their inability to perform when under pressure from USC’s formidable defensive line. But USC’s offensive line should hold up better against Hawai’i’s defensive front, which only forced nine interceptions and 22 sacks while facing relatively soft competition in the Mountain West conference.Chow would certainly love to hand Kiffin and the Trojans an enormous upset loss in the pair’s third meeting, especially considering the friendly rivalry the two hold after working together at USC under former coach Pete Carroll.But history isn’t on Hawai’i’s side.USC hasn’t suffered a loss in its first game since 1997, hasn’t dropped a non-conference road game since 2006 and is 8-0 all-time against the Warriors. The Trojans have never beaten Hawai’i by less than 13 points.And if Kiffin wants to silence the USC fans who are calling for his dismissal, he’d be advised not to be involved in the conclusion of any of those streaks.The Trojans and Warriors kick off at 8 p.m. on CBS Sports Network. Follow Will on Twitter @WillLawslast_img read more

Men’s lacrosse roundtable: Inconsistent offense, thinning defense and the Tar Heels in town

first_imgNo. 7 Syracuse (6-4, 3-0 Atlantic Coast) fell 13-8 to No. 9 Cornell (8-3, 3-1 Ivy), breaking its three-game winning streak. The Orange, which has already locked in the No. 1 seed for the ACC tournament, looks to close out an undefeated regular season in conference when it hosts North Carolina (6-6, 0-2 ACC) on Saturday at 4 p.m.On Tuesday against Cornell, Syracuse’s offense was held to fewer than 10 goals. Was it just a blip on the radar?Charlie DiSturco: This is just an inconsistent Syracuse offense where youth will show up at times. Cornell’s goalie Caelahn Bullen had a handful of point-blank saves that made a huge difference in the opening half. The offense began to figure itself out as the game wound down in the fourth quarter, but it was too late. It’s interesting because SU finally seemed like it was in a groove and would walk out with a win against Cornell.But this offense is far too talented that scoring under 10 goals will be a trend. It was just a night where Syracuse couldn’t figure out much and it lost. I wouldn’t read too far into the offense’s woes because its numbers were relatively similar to the Big Red’s. SU just got the short end of the stick.Josh Schafer: It’s hard to call this a blip on the radar as it’s the third time in four losses Syracuse has been held under 10 goals. Syracuse’s offense just didn’t finish. SU junior attack Nate Solomon said as much post game, remarking that “the shots were there.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe main concern here for the Orange is the variety of ways its offense has struggled. Against Albany and Rutgers it couldn’t possess the ball. On Tuesday against Cornell it couldn’t score despite notching the same amount of shots on goal as the Big Red. Yes, Bullen was a brick wall, but that’s how lacrosse is sometimes. If SU wants to make a tournament run its offense can’t stall like that moving forward.Matt Liberman: We’ve seen an inconsistent Syracuse offense all season. SU scored just three goals against Albany but then poured 15 in against Duke. One of the problems that SU has dealt with in a few of its losses have been turnovers such as against Rutgers, when SU had 22.Other times the offensive issues have come from an inability to win the faceoff, as was the case against Albany and Johns Hopkins. Against Cornell, SU’s kryptonite was simply an outstanding performance in the cage from Bullen.Across all those games, though, the offense disappeared at times. If Syracuse wants to advance far this year, it can’t go silent offensively for minutes on end. This has happened even in their wins. I’m not smashing the panic button, but this has been more than just a blip on the radar.Does Marcus Cunningham’s injury bring down a defense that was exceeding expectations?C.D.: We don’t know the severity of the injury yet, but even if Cunningham is out for a long time, I don’t think it hurts the defense on a level that losing Nick Mellen would, or the effect Tyson Bomberry being out had. Cunningham is a physical third defender, but he isn’t normally guarding opponents’ best attacks.Syracuse’s defense is also very deep, which makes the cause for concern even smaller. Brett Kennedy stepped up in Bomberry’s absence and was not only solid, but a big reason for SU’s win against Virginia. Nick DiPietro has also battled with Cunningham since last year for the third spot and is a solid bench option. The defense will be just fine and if there’s any difference, it’s minimal at the most.J.S.: Losing Cunningham hurts from a chemistry perspective. The last four games, arguably Syracuse’s best defensive stretch of the season, began with the return of Tyson Bomberry. The junior defender had missed several games before that, two of which were losses. With Syracuse’s defense at full force, it held Notre Dame and Hobart to season lows and Cornell, the nation’s top offense, to two goals below its season average.DiPietro filled in for Cunningham in the final moments against Cornell and could potentially be a replacement. Brett Kennedy, who is second on SU in groundballs, could also be an option for the Orange. While both are strong players, they won’t have the rapport Cunningham had with his defensive partners.M.L.: Certainly anytime you lose a starter it hurts, especially when he is coming from a unit that has been inconsistent this season. I think it is a bigger deal than Charlie thinks and I agree with Josh that for this team, there is no argument that there is a lack of talent defensively. Heading into the season we all predicted SU would be a top-five defense because of who was on that line.Yes, Kennedy has filled in nicely and is capable of doing so again. But with how the defense had been playing recently, especially on the man-down units where communication and chemistry is key, this injury is bigger than people think. He isn’t Mellen or Bomberry, but Cunningham brings solid defense to every game with minimal mistakes. That will be missed.How does Syracuse go undefeated in the ACC and beat North Carolina on Saturday?C.D.: It’s easier said than done, but SU should play like it has all season long against conference opponents. Sophomore faceoff specialist Danny Varello will need to have success at the faceoff X and the offense will need to revert back to old form, unlike Tuesday’s loss to Cornell.The defense has been playing great — it held a Cornell team averaging more than 20 goals in its last four games to 13 — and will likely keep that up against an unusually weak UNC team.Syracuse’s offense is young, but will definitely be more amped to get another signature win and secure the regular season ACC title, and we’ve seen the potential the offense has. North Carolina is on a six-game slide and has struggled in most areas. Syracuse, on the other hand, just needs to hone in on slowing down its offense and making smarter decisions. The defense will be just fine and likely limit UNC like it has its previous opponents.J.S.: There’s an easy answer to this question: score more goals. I’m slightly kidding, but Syracuse needs its offense back. In every one of its ACC wins the Orange has played efficiently on offense. That includes its second-largest offensive output of the season: 15 goals against Duke.After scoring fewer than 10 goals for the third time this season against Cornell on Tuesday, Syracuse can’t afford that kind of offensive dud. And SU’s previous three conference games don’t point to one.M.L.: North Carolina may be the most banged up team in all of lacrosse. The Tar Heels will be without 13 players come Saturday — not a great start for trying to pull an upset. I talked with UNC head coach Joe Breschi and he said he thinks his team is capable of winning if it wins 50 percent of its faceoffs and makes 15 saves. But there hasn’t been a single game where UNC has made 15 saves, and the Tar Heels have one road win this season. As long as Syracuse takes care of its possessions, I see SU rolling. Comments Published on April 11, 2018 at 11:07 pm Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Companies will have enough time to be compliant – Lawrence

first_imgAmidst concerns by the local tobacco industry, Public Health Minister Volda Lawrence has assured that sufficient time will be given for companies to become compliant before the new tobacco laws are enforced.Last week, the Demerara Tobacco Company (DEMTOCO) raised concerns over the absence of the necessary regulations that would guide them to be inPublic Health Minister Volda Lawrencecompliance with the new legislation. The Tobacco Act was passed in the National Assembly and subsequently assented to in August last year. A commencement order was then signed back in December but enforcement was put on hold pending a public sensitisation campaign and the publication of the regulations, which the Public Health Ministry had to prepare.However, subject Minister Volda Lawrence explained to Guyana Times on Wednesday that the company will have sufficient time before enforcement of the new tobacco laws.“When that regulation comes out, it gives that company a time in which they are to put their house in order. The regulations will not come out today and then they have to do whatever tomorrow… When the regulations are completed and approved, DEMTOCO will have a copy. That is the norm all around the world and the tobacco industry is well aware of this procedure,” Lawrence posited.According to the Public Health Minister, those regulations have been completed and are currently before Cabinet to be reviewed and approved.DEMTOCO, which is a major player in the local tobacco industry, had said that it has been trying to meet with the Ministry to iron out this and some issues. However, Minister Lawrence noted that she has responded to the company and is awaiting some information from DEMTOCO before such a meeting can be scheduled.“I received two letters from two attorneys representing DEMTOCO, who indicated in the last letter, they would like to meet with me. I responded asking for them to send an agenda – what is it they would like to meet with me for – so I can know as a Minister what technical personnel I need to have [during the meeting] to be able to address their issues. I have not had a response from them,” she stated.Initially, DEMTOCO had raised concerns with aspects of the drafted legislation but now that it has been become law, the company said it is ready to be to be compliant.In fact, Managing Director Maurline Kirton said last week that while the company has already gone ahead with steps to be in compliance, some aspects such as ‘no-smoking’ signs and packaging and labelling of tobacco products require the regulations as a guide on how to implement the new laws.“…the institution of the graphic health warning pictures on the packs, that requires regulation where the Minister will specifically say this is the pool of images that you need to use, this is the rotation period, how long the rotation period will last for, you may or may not have what we call a conviviality period so you rotating from images A and going to B… We need to get those images, send them to the supplier, have them printed on the boxes, insert it into our production line, produced, shipped, sell to our distributors and sell to our retailors. (And) there is a timeline that is required to do all this,” Kirton had point out.Back in December, the Public Health Ministry had said in a statement that when the regulations for the packaging and labelling of tobacco products are passed, the industry will have nine months to comply with the regulations.It had also promised to meet with the players in the local tobacco industry “to inform them of the implementation of the complete ban on tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship.”last_img read more