HBO and NFL Films just keep dropping little bread crumbs — hoping they lead us to the premiere of “Hard Knocks:” Training Camp With the Oakland Raiders” tonight.Are you in?A few days ago, there was that clever remake of the iconic poem, “The Autumn Wind Is a Raider.” And now comes a short sneak peek that features a sequence with three of wide receiver Antonio Brown’s adorable children.The kids, of course, want to know why Daddy is not out running on the practice field (Brown has been …
We are calling for referees to attend and officiate at the annual KidsXpress Touch of Colour charity corporate Touch Football event, held in conjunction with the National Rugby League (NRL) and the KidsXpress for Life Foundation. KidsXpress for life Foundation looks at helping young children who have been traumatised, abused and neglected. KidsXpress utilises â€œexpression therapyâ€ to help kids share their thoughts, ideas and imagination through song, dance, art and dramaâ€¦.and sport. This event raises significant funds and awareness in support of this great cause and initiative and is a great day out for all stakeholders. Come and take part in this opportunity which will feature former NRL stars playing in various corporate teams; providing an amazing opportunity to engage with former stars, new friends and officiate on Allianz Stadium; all the while and contributing to raising valuable funds for the KidsXpress for Life Foundation. Where: Allianz Stadium, Moore Park When: Friday, 18 November 2016 Time: 1.00pm â€“ 4.00pm Format: 20 teams, four pools of five teams, Round Robin games. Four fields, 10 minute games, 30 second half time (change direction), one and a half minutes break between games. Top two from each pool progress to Quarter Finals. Former NRL stars in attendance: Roy Asotasi Danny Buderus Shane Elford Jamie Feeney Joe Galuvao Dene Halatau Nathan Hindmarsh Peter Jorgensen Jason King Anthony Minichiello Adam Peek Josh Perry Frank Puletua Tony Puletua Anthony QuinnLuke RicketsonAndrew Ryan Willie Talau Nigel Vagana Trent Waterhouse Rhys Wesser Paul Whatuira To confirm your availability or for further information please contact Zoe Zinetti [email protected] or 02 6212 2809 by Monday, 14 November 2016.Related LinksCalling all referees!
Liverpool battling FA to avoid Carabao Cup expulsionby Paul Vegas25 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool are battling to stay in the Carabao Cup.The Daily Mail says Liverpool have become embroiled in a row with the FA as they battle to avoid being expelled from the Carabao Cup for fielding an ineligible player in last week’s win over MK Dons.In ordinary circumstances expulsion from the competition is the standard sanction for using a player who isn’t eligible, but Liverpool are understood to be pinning the blame on the FA in the hope of being given a lesser punishment. Liverpool contend they applied for an international transfer certificate for Pedro Chirivella when he returned to Anfield from a loan spell in Spain with Extremadura last summer, but the 22-year-old had not received clearance when he came off the bench for the final 27 minutes of Liverpool’s third-round victory on Wednesday. The club are blaming the FA for the administrative oversight as they first sought clearance for Chirivella in July, which they will use in mitigation to try to prevent being thrown out of the competition.The FA’s position is that it is the responsibility of the clubs to make sure all their players are eligible to play. About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
HALIFAX – An American family’s striking 57-acre private Nova Scotia island remains unsold, eight years after it went on the market and despite a $2.5-million price drop.Now, realtor Mariana Cowan is suggesting alternate uses for Kaulbach Island, which boasts an 11,000-square-foot main house and encircling sandy beaches that overlook the province’s picturesque Mahone Bay.“This place is really quite remarkable,” said Cowan. “It would make a great resort, a corporate retreat base or a lovely secondary home.”The main house — built by the current owners roughly 12 years ago and dubbed the “Osprey Nest” — features 11 bedrooms, nine bathrooms and 10 fireplaces, and is a short five-minute boat ride from the mainland.“When you arrive you come up this winding driveway and you’re greeted by this magnificent house. It’s hard to believe this home is in the South Shore,” said Cowan.The imposing two-storey structure with grey wood siding and white trim stands in stark contrast to the groomed lawns, lush trees and ponds that comprise the property — navigable by golf carts.Inside, the 12-year-old house evokes a traditional and elegant style. The master bedroom and living room are clad in knotty pine wood panelling. The library features oak walls and oriental rugs, and an adjacent “telephone room” allows guests to make private phone calls.“The whole design was meant to make it feel like an older home, to give it that historic feel. The woodworking, the moulding — everything is made to look like it’s 100 years old,” said Cowan.The seasonal house is equipped with environmentally friendly features, including aquathermal heat.Young, Bella, and the several other islands in the bay can be spotted from the house’s sun room, furnished with french doors, massive windows, slate floors, and a floor-to-ceiling stone fireplace.The property includes staff living quarters above a double-car garage, a nearby two-level farm house, and a seaside beach house that was built in 2002 — all minutes away from a golf course and sailing club.Cowan listed the property last fall for $7 million, down from $9.5 million when it was first listed in 2010. It has been on and off the market since then.But Kaulbach Island wasn’t always a luxurious destination.The aunt and uncle of the island’s current caretaker owned the property more than 75 years ago and lived off the land, enduring harsh coastal winters that would sometimes trap Ruby and Florence Heisler there for months at a time.“They had no children. It was just the two of them. They had a couple of cows, oxen, pigs and chicken and the land was used for hay,” said Cowan. “There was no power in those days. They used kerosene and the two lighthouses on the island were also run by kerosene.”Caretaker Raymond Hilt believes the island was in his family even before his aunt and uncle took ownership. The Heislers sold it for $11,000 in the early 1970s and moved to the mainland.Since then, Kaulbach Island has changed hands several times, including to two other Americans.Cowan said she’s been looking south of the border and to Europe for the island’s next owners.“The buyer for this property will likely be someone who likes privacy and who appreciates quality,” said Cowan.She said her company is currently speaking with two parties interested in buying the property.
MONTREAL – Canada is about to put forward two sets of proposals at the NAFTA negotiations seen as a litmus test of whether these talks become a real give-and-take negotiation, or a deadlocked process defined by intractable differences.It could be clearer by weekend.Canada intends to make its first two significant counter-proposals on controversial topics, responding several months after the U.S. stunned its neighbours with a series of demands Canada and Mexico viewed as non-starters.Sources say the Canadians will suggest major changes to auto rules, and to the dispute-resolution system under Chapter 11. While the U.S. has requested far tougher auto-parts rules, and a far weaker Chapter 11, the Canadians will suggest creating entirely new systems.If the U.S. engages, the countries will finally, after five months of talks, be thrust into back-and-forth bargaining on the most troublesome sticking points in NAFTA. If it shoots down the ideas outright, the countries will remain entrenched in distant positions, leaving the talks in jeopardy.“We’re here to negotiate,” chief Canadian negotiator Steve Verheul told reporters earlier this week.“We hope the others are as well.”Chapter 11 is one of three dispute-resolution systems in NAFTA, and governs companies suing states for unfair treatment. The U.S. has proposed watering down this chapter and essentially scrapping the other two. Sources say Canada intends to suggest a new, permanent tribunal system modeled on those in the Canada-European trade agreement.Autos are arguably the No. 1 U.S. priority. The Trump administration wants half of all car parts to come from the U.S., and 85 per cent from within North America. Auto-makers call that unrealistic, and warn they might simply shift production to Asia and pay new tariffs.The Canadian auto proposal would overhaul the entire NAFTA formula for calculating content: instead of just counting the country of origin for mechanical parts, it would include intellectual property and emerging technologies — which would inflate the percentage of U.S. content given American research dominance.The big unknown is how the U.S. will respond.“This will be a real litmus test of whether the U.S. wants a successful renegotiation of NAFTA,” John Weekes, Canada’s chief negotiator of the original 1994 deal, said in an interview Wednesday.“If the Americans hold firm and show no signs of flexibility, then I think we have to sort of accept the fact these negotiations probably aren’t going anywhere.”Insiders view this round as instrumental — after the Montreal talks wrap up next Monday, there are just two rounds left before the current schedule of talks runs out in March.At that point, U.S. President Donald Trump faces a dilemma on what to do with NAFTA. Trump has suggested he could start cancelling NAFTA to get a better deal or pause the talks during the Mexican election, followed by the U.S. midterms later this year.An auto-parts stakeholder says this round is key.“Canada, Mexico and the U.S. will go back to their respective capitals and they’re going to be able to say whether we’ve actually got something or not — or whether it’s a waste of time,” said Flavio Volpe of the Canadian Auto Parts Manufacturers’ Association.“They’ve got to be able to come back to their capitals and say, ‘We have made substantive movement.’”Volpe said the idea of including non-material things like IP costs in the content calculation would be less damaging since the U.S. already dominates the field — and it would help North America compete as a block against the growing Chinese auto sector.The American auto sector is favourable to the approach.In a letter this week to U.S. trade czar Robert Lighthizer, the U.S. Motor and Equipment Manufacturers Association suggested including research and development, engineering, design, and software development expenditures in calculating a car’s North American content.There are some things Canada does not intend to raise this week, according to sources.Canada has no plans to push the conversation on dairy, where the U.S. is demanding changes to the Canadian supply management system. Nor will it delve into the U.S. desire to eliminate the Chapter 19 dispute process, where industries can fight abusive punitive duties.That chapter was a fundamental condition of Canada entering into free trade with the U.S. — and has been used in recent high-profile cases, including softwood lumber and Bombardier.
Several environmental groups including Environmental Defence and the David Suzuki Foundation welcomed the regulations as the first country-level commitment to reducing methane from both new and existing oil and gas facilities nationwide.In a joint statement, the groups said the test now will be whether the federal government will ensure any provincial regulations achieve at least the same level of reduction. The groups are particularly concerned about draft regulations released by Alberta earlier this week that they say is a “much weaker” regulatory approach.Patrick McDonald, director of climate and innovation at the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers, says that while industry supports the reduction target, the regulations as finalized are too prescriptive and will make the industry less competitive.“The regulations very much are not reflective of CAPP’s proposal that was issued in October,” said McDonald.The industry is concerned about details including the frequency of monitoring and site-specific limits as opposed to more flexible approaches, he said.“This new regulation is going to be a significant cost to the industry and as such will have additional impacts on our competitiveness when we’re looking at the global market.” CALGARY, A.B. – The federal government said Thursday it has finalized regulations that should reduce methane emissions from the oil and gas sector by close to half.The regulations include flexibilities to reduce costs while ensuring industry meets the target of reducing methane emissions by 40 to 45 percent below 2012 levels by 2025, it said.Announced by Environment Minister Catherine McKenna, the regulations are expected to cut carbon pollution by about 20 million tonnes a year, the equivalent to taking about five million vehicles off the road per year. He said Alberta’s draft plan does look to have more flexibility in how to best reduce methane emissions.Methane is a focus of climate efforts because it is a potent greenhouse gas that is considered to have 70 times the warming power of carbon dioxide over a 20-year period.(THE CANADIAN PRESS)
Ohio State junior Lilli Piper rounds third base with the intent to score against Wright State on Sep. 24. Credit: Gretchen Rudolph | For The LanternPenn State was unable to answer to Ohio State’s offense on Wednesday, dropping both games of a double-header by a combined score of 16-5. The Buckeyes improved to 26-8 overall and 7-4 in the Big Ten after dispatching the Nittany Lions, one of the worst teams in the conference.Game OneThe Buckeyes came alive in the sixth inning, scoring five runs runs in the bottom of the frame en route to a 9-1 win in the first game of the double-header.With just four hits and three walks, Penn State had no response to the Buckeyes’ offensive prowess..“I think our pitching was clutch when they had runners on and I think we were offensively clutch when we had runners on,” Ohio State head coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly said. “The combination of those two things limited their runs and helped us get the runs we needed.”Junior right fielder Bri Betschel got the scoring started in the sixth inning with a two-run triple to five the Buckeyes a 6-1 lead. Freshman third baseman Niki Carver followed up the triple with a single that brought Betschel home.Senior center fielder Taylor White joined the hit parade with a triple to center field that scored Carver. White later scored on a wild pitch to make it 9-1.Although the sixth was the most eventful inning, the Buckeyes also scored two runs in the bottom of the first and one each in the third and fourth innings.Junior second baseman Emily Clark hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the first inning, driving in her 100th-career run.Senior left fielder Bailee Sturgeon scored on Clark’s home run and also crossed home plate in the third inning. Sturgeon hit the first triple of her career, then scored on a wild pitch.Senior pitcher Shelby McCombs struck out 10 batters in the winning effort and contributed to the scoring with a home run in the bottom of the fourth.Game Two:Though Ohio State managed 11 hits in the second game of the double-header compared to just nine in the first game, it was unable to cash in as frequently, leading to just a 7-4 victory..Despite the 11-hit performance, Clark, who went 0-for-4, said the Penn State senior pitcher Jessica Cummings kept the Buckeyes guessing during her complete game.“The first pitcher that we faced in the first game, we were kind of all over her and we were able to pick up her pitches pretty well,” said Clark. “The second pitcher was more spin-y and had us second guessing in and out.”Cummings allowed seven runs on 11 hits with two wild pitches, four hit batsmen and four walks.The second game went back and forth with each team answering the other’s runs. But Ohio State put up three runs in the fourth inning and two in the sixth, which proved to be the difference-maker in the win.Penn State scored a pair of runs in the third inning when sophomore pinch hitter Delaney Elling singled up the middle.Two of Ohio State’s runs came from senior first baseman Ashley Goodwin’s home run in the fourth, which was also her 100th career hit. Two additional runs came in the sixth, when Betschel tripled for an RBI allowing sophomore pinch runner Andi Farrah to score. White followed that up with a single to bring Betschel home. Eight of Ohio State’s 11 hits came off the bats of White, Sturgeon and McCombs, who combined to go 8-for-11.Next UpThe Buckeyes head to Evanston, Illinois, next to take on Northwestern in a three-game series beginning on at 4:30 p.m. Friday.
The Lazio sporting director believes the new Juventus footballer is one of the best things that could have happened to the Italia Serie AEverybody keeps talking about Portuguese superstar Cristiano Ronaldo in the Italian Serie A.And now is the turn of Lazio sporting director Igli Tare, who believes the ex-Real Madrid arrival is extremely important for the league.“The arrival of Ronaldo in Italy is extremely important,” Tare told sport1 as reported by Football Italia.“I see his arrival as very positive.”Vidic: “Ronaldo is the most professional footballer I’ve seen” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Nemanja Vidic opened up on how a 21-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo’s professionalism left him stunned at Manchester United.“It’s triggered something incredible in Italy, all the best Italian clubs have taken risks this summer to do transfers to compete both domestically and internationally,” he said.“Ronaldo is important for the image of the league. We’re talking about a player with very high quality, this transfer is definitely a boost for Italian football.”“The Portuguese is still at an age where he can best express his football and wants to succeed in one of the best leagues in the world,” he said.“That’s his objective and I take my hat off to him, but the Italian league is the most difficult in the world.”
Story as aired: Audio PlayerJennifer-on-kodiak-update.mp3VmJennifer-on-kodiak-update.mp300:00RPd Due to the collapse of the structure there is a large amount of contaminated debris that is collectingwithin the containment boom. Oil spill containment (hard) boom has been deployed to contain the oil within the immediate area of the collapsed structures. Oil absorbent material has been placed inside of the hard boom andis successfully collecting oil at each tide cycle. Geoff Merrell, State On-Scene Coordinator, ADEC: “We’re at a normal part of a response where we have completed the initial emergency response portion of the incident where we have the immediate spill under control, contained, and not spreading.” It has been determined that cause of the spill was that the dock structure supporting the building collapsed. This caused much of the building, along with the fuel bladder, to fall to the shoreline and water below. The entire contents of the bladder are suspected to have been released.