State Superintendent Says Schools May be Closed for Remainder of Academic Year

first_imgSchools may be closed for the rest of the academic year according to the state superintendent.“Due to the current safety concerns and needs for ongoing social distancing it currently appears that our students will not be able to return toschool campuses before the end of the school year,” said Tony Thurmond. “This is in no way to suggest that school is over for the year, but ratherwe should put all efforts into strengthening our delivery of education through distance learning.”Schools in the Pasadena Unified School District have been closed since March 16. There is no mention of the letter on the PUSD website.The district has been offering local students and their families free meals since the schools closed. Some students get their only meal of the dayat school.“We acknowledge that students only being able to be served through distance learning creates hardships for some students, families, and educators,”the letter states. However, we are urging a safety first approach out of an abundance of caution.”Earlier this month four employees were tested for the virus. The results of those tests have not been made public.Students are scheduled to return in early May.“We urge that all school districts in California move towards and/or continue to strengthen their distance learning programs and opportunities forstudents,” said Thurmond. “We believe this sustains the safety of our students and families, provides consistency across schools in the state, andprovides our districts and educators with clarity and the ability to plan for delivering education for the rest of this school year through adistance learning model.” Make a comment STAFF REPORT First Heatwave Expected Next Week Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * STAFF REPORT Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy More Cool Stuff faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Virtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimes Name (required)  Mail (required) (not be published)  Website  TOP STORY State Superintendent Says Schools May be Closed for Remainder of Academic Year Calls for districts to strengthen distance learning By DONOVAN MCCRAY Published on Tuesday, March 31, 2020 | 5:23 pm Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. HerbeautyThe Real Truth About The Pain Caused By MicrobladingHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyAmazing Sparks Of On-Screen Chemistry From The 90-sHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyHere Is What Scientists Say Will Happen When You Eat AvocadosHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty7 Things A Man Will Do Only If He Really Loves YouHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty6 Strong Female TV Characters Who Deserve To Have A SpinoffHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyWant To Seriously Cut On Sugar? You Need To Know A Few TricksHerbeautyHerbeautycenter_img Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena CITY NEWS SERVICE/STAFF REPORT Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday Subscribe Top of the News Business News EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS Community News Community News 21 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it last_img read more

Marleau, Tavares haunt Sharks in loss to Maple Leafs

first_imgTORONTO — The ghosts of Patrick Marleau and John Tavares haunted the Sharks again.Tavares netted a pair of goals and Marleau scored his first against his former-team as the Toronto Maple Leafs (18-8) beat the Sharks  5-3 Wednesday night.Marleau, who left the Sharks after 19 seasons to join the Maple Leafs in July 2017, scored on the power play at 1:53 in the second, making it a 4-2 game. The goal gave him game winners against 30 different clubs, the only player in NHL history to do …last_img

Eskom, SABC to give ‘power bulletins’

first_img16 May 2013 Eskom has partnered with the SABC to give South Africans daily real-time information on the power system, the power utility said on Wednesday.“The new power bulletin initiative announced today aims to encourage South Africans to shift their energy usage during the peak demand period: every evening between 5pm and 9pm,” Eskom said in a statement.In terms of the agreement, the SABC will use all three of its television channels and 18 radio stations at various times to urge households to help reduce the electricity demand during peak hours.The bulletins will be aired especially in the mornings and afternoons, Eskom said.“The power bulletin will be flighted on television immediately after the news, starting with the 5.30pm news bulletin through [to] 7.30pm.”The announcements, which will follow the weather forecast format, will run for 60 seconds on all three television channels for five days a week until the end of the year.The radio announcements will be run three times a day – morning, midday and afternoon – and will also continue until December.“The power bulletin will not replace the power alert campaign that is currently running on eNCA, eTV, DStv, and the SABC television channels.”Eskom said South Africa experienced the highest demand for electricity during the winter months, particularly at night, when demand increased by more than 3 000 MW in one hour.This is equivalent to the output of a large power station and more than the total energy use of some neighbouring countries.“Taking four simple steps over the four hours of the peak period can reduce demand for energy during peak times.”These steps are: to switch off all geysers and pool pumps during peak hours; to switch off all non-essential lighting; to find alternatives to electrical heaters, such as dressing warmly or using gas heaters; and to respond to alert messages by switching off all appliances not in use.Eskom said it usually performed most of its planned maintenance in the summer months. However, this winter would be different.“Eskom will for the first time plan to do extensive, long duration maintenance work to improve the reliability and performance of its power stations.”This meant the power system would be constrained in the next few months.“The proposed planned maintenance over the winter period is considered fixed, and must be implemented,” said Eskom CEO Brian Dames.“We therefore urge all customers to partner with us to save electricity. This will ensure that adequate space is created for the planned maintenance, while ensuring there is sufficient operating reserve.”“The electricity supply system continues to be constrained, but we have put comprehensive plans in place to manage this,” said Public Enterprises Minister Malusi Gigaba.“As we approach the winter and make South Africans participate in monitoring their own personal impact, Eskom and the SABC have collaborated to create an exciting initiative to educate and inform consumers about the country’s electricity status,” he said.Sapalast_img read more

10 months agoNapoli defender Koulibaly: I’m proud of the colour of my skin

first_imgAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Napoli defender Koulibaly: I’m proud of the colour of my skinby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNapoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly says he won’t be cowed after racist barracking during defeat at Inter Milan.Koulibaly was subjected to racist abuse throughout the 1-0 defeat to Inter and this inevitably contributed to his lack of control in the final minutes as he was sent off.“I’m disappointed by the defeat, but above all at leaving my brothers!” Koulibaly wrote on Twitter.“But I am proud of the colour of my skin. Proud to be French, Senegalese, Neapolitan: A Man.”Mi dispiace la sconfitta e sopratutto avere lasciato i miei fratelli!Però sono orgoglioso del colore della mia pelle. Di essere francese, senegalese, napoletano: uomo. #InterNapoli 1-0#KK26#famiglia#ForzaNapoliSempre#DifendoLaCittàpic.twitter.com/f9q0KYggcw— Koulibaly Kalidou (@kkoulibaly26) December 26, 2018 last_img read more

Spotted Coral Medusa Emerges from Repair

first_imgThe gas carrier Coral Medusa, owned and operated by the Anthony Veder Group, has completed her intermediate survey at Damen Shiprepair Harlingen in the Netherlands.The 2007-built Coral Medusa docked at Harlingen on July 19, 2016.The intermediate survey was scheduled and carried out while the ship was under gas vapours from its last cargo.In addition to the survey, repairs were undertaken on the Van der Velden Marine Systems – a subsidiary of the Damen group – rudder, hub, and propeller shaft. The liners of the tail shaft were also replaced and, while in dock, the vessel had its corporate livery repainted. The work was undertaken within two weeks.The Coral Medusa is a 4,000 m³ semi-pressurized / fully refrigerated gas carrier. Featuring a length of 95.5 meters and a width of 15.5 meters, the vessel carries Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) and operates in the waters of north-west Europe.Image Courtesy: Damenlast_img read more

GSIs appbased landslidewarning begins functioning in 3 Bengal villages

first_imgKolkata: From now on, whatsapp messages and sirens on mobile phone apps will alert inhabitants of three most landslide-prone villages of the country, at the slightest signals of landslides. The Geological Survey of India (GSI) has recently developed a Landslide Early Warning System (L-EWS) for the people of Giddapahar, Paglajhora and 14th Mile villages in Kurseong block of Darjeeling District in association with the district administration of West Bengal government, GSI Director Ashish Nath said. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal life The L-EWS is connected to mobile apps for fast dissemination of the alert to the poeple. The system installed by the GSI in select villages, mostly in Kurseong block, has already started working, the director said. “After the immense loss of life and property in these three villages since 2003 mainly because of landslides, we decided to install the system here first,” he said. Studying the Kurseong area utilising the modern InSAR technology by placing five corner reflectors and rainfall threshold analysis for landslide initiation resulted in the development of the people-centric L-EWS, he said. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killed Earlier, in case of landslides triggered by rainfall, the GSI used to alert the administration and then it used to be passed on to the local population. “But we felt there must be a change and we should alert the possible victims as soon as there is a trigger. We believe, this will help us in saving more lives,” he said. Eighteen such zones have been marked as extremely vulnerable to landslides and the three Darjeeling villages, where the warning system has been installed were on top of the chart, he stated. Elaborating about the system, he said that it is ideal for warning landslides as spatio-temporal forecasting is extremely difficult, particularly from a remote area. The prediction of the occurrences of landslides both in space and time does not happen because most of the key elements like risk knowledge, monitoring, analysis, warning generation, dissemination and communication of warning and preparedness for timely response do not work in sync, Nath said. “The difficulties are coupled with the variability in the intensity of trigger thus making forecasting quite difficult for the purpose of alerting the community at risk. So the need of putting community-based landslide warning system was felt,” he said. Incidentally, in 2016, the Landslide Studies Division of Geohazards Research and Management (GHRM) Centre, GSI, Kolkata had studied this landslide zone in order to develop an early warning system. In fact, before the deployment of the system, a few rounds of community landslide awareness programme, including mock-drills, were also conducted, Nath said. A billboard showing details of landslide warning has been also erected in two places one at Giddapahar and another at Paglajhora to spread awareness among the people.last_img read more

Mayor looks to overhaul solid waste management in city

first_imgKolkata: Mayor Firhad Hakim on Friday proposed to allocate Rs 657.16 crore for completely revamping solid waste management in the city. Hakim announced the allocation while delivering the KMC Budget statement and at the same time, touched upon a slew of measures aimed at the overhaul.”There was a time when people would say that Kolkata is a dead city. But now, with KMC undertaking commendable work to maintain a clean and hygienic environment, people say that Kolkata is a living city. Scientific solid waste management is a challenge and we are up to it,” Hakim said. Also Read – Bose & Gandhi: More similar than apart, says Sugata BoseHe maintained that the civic body has already started segregation of waste at the source at 7 wards in the city and is all set to start the same in 20 more wards. “We will gradually bring more and more wards under the purview as separation of dry and wet waste is of utmost importance. Dry waste can be recycled while the wet portion can be used for making fertiliser. Uttarpara Municipality in Hooghly district is now successfully doing segregation of waste at source,” the Mayor said. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataKMC is also introducing a dress code for the employees who are associated with the collection of garbage at the ground level. “Gone are the days when a cleaner would work in a tattered dress and slippers, making them susceptible to diseases. The garbage disposal system has been modernised and so the cleaners should also have a proper dress code,” Hakim added. KMC has placed 11,500 bins of 240 litre capacity each, for the use of pedestrians and shop owners to stop littering streets and footpaths. The civic body has progressed towards replacing open vats in the city by introducing compactor and movable compactor stations. 120 battery operated environment and user-friendly hydraulic dumpers have been engaged. “I have made it clear to our officials that cleaning of garbage at any place in the city, irrespective of jurisdiction, will be taken up by the Conservancy department. The charge for cleaning may be collected from the concerned agency at a later stage,” Hakim said.last_img read more